Sick Roo Breathing like Squeaky Door

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by finallychickens, Jan 17, 2009.

1. finallychickens

finallychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    I need advice on my rooster Hal. He has some kind of respiratory thing going on. I first noticed two days ago that I could hear him breathing when he was shut up at night with the girls in the henhouse. Then I heard a few sneezes from him and two of the girls. I have read all the posts and the links on the respiratory ailments so I got some terramycin and put it in their water. I also put some poultry vitamins on their oatmeal. This morning the girls all seem fine, but Hal still sounds terrible. His breathing is like a squeaky door. His eyes are clear, no runny nose, he is eating, and moving around like normal, but he is sneezing/coughing. He also didn't crow and that's a bad sign I think. I have kept him and girls shut up in the coop for the last few days due to the bitter cold and it is very dry in there, warm and not drafty. His symptoms are all very dry sounding, not wet or mucousy. He is about 10 months old and a very dear roo. I would hate to lose him. Please any advice? I am about out of ideas. Diane

2. Could be a number of things. Is you coop well ventilated. Sometimes chickens get problems with Ammonia.

Could be a lower respiratory disease. Watch out for:

Yellow puss from nostriles
    Smelly discharge form nostrils
    Eye discharge of ANY kind
    Running clear from nostrils
    Rattles in breathing and the chicken noticably having labored
    breathing.
    The vitamines and minerals are GOOD.
    Put some Vet Rx on his comb and waddles (if not too cold
    where you are)
    Give hin a warm place to stay for a few days.
    Give starter or yogurt for a few days.
    Watch for any troubles with his wings, legs and neck.
    Keep a close eye on his poop. This is important, it
    may give you the answer to what ails him.

3. finallychickens

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    I appreciate the advice. Thanks. His poo looks normal. I cleaned the coop and put fresh bedding in case there was too much ammonia and maybe I won't close it up quite so tight tonite as it will be slightly warmer and the coop is heated. I let them out for a few hours when it was sunny this afternoon and he made a few weak crows. I thought that was a good sign. I will keep the terramycin in the water for a few days and made sure they get their yogurt. I haven't been able to find Vet Rx locally. I'll keep looking. He still sounds pretty much the same this afternoon - raspy breathing - and his wattle and comb color is not good (blue-ish). Poor thing!

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If you got him on Terramycin I would keep him on it for ten days, then give him probiotics and electrolytes after the ten days are up.

You can also feed him garlic chopped up along with the Terramycin. If he doesnt start showing improvement, you may have to switch to another treatment. Is his face swollen at all?

5. finallychickens

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    My roo Hal is not any better this morning. Today he is listless and still has the blue-ish color, but his face is not swollen at all. His breathing may be a tad better, but I also heard what I think is a cough. It sounds more like a hiccup. He did not seem very interested in eating although he picked at some cracked corn which is his favorite. This morning his poo is not good either. It was foamy white and had a green blob in it. I am going to look at the webpage to see if it matches anything. At least the temperatures are a bit milder (30F). I will try the garlic.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Someone on another thread said not to give garlic, that its bad for chickens. Well I always did when they were sick. So I guess now I am advising against it.

I would try to keep him warm someplace and get some electrolytes in his water and give him an antibiotic like penicillin which you can get at a farm store. Pen Aqueos. You need to give him shots in his breast muscle. How much does he weigh.?

7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Try gving him warm water with cinnamon in it

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    go to a feed/farm store and get him some Tylan 50 injectable and some syringes asap..
    give him some vitamins..keep him warm and out of drafts and wet.

try and check his crop and make sure it is emptying properly.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    that is very good advice sammi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by