1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Roo needs vet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Jan 29, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, my sick 'hen' from before is now a he, lol. He also seems to have an actual issue with his left leg. I have no idea what I am feeling and looking for when trying to figure out why he can't move the leg.
    It seems to be the whole leg, it's slightly pointing out, from hock down.
    Right leg works just fine now. I am still giving eggs, yogurt & vitamin water. I ordered vit b12 & vit k bottle. Hope that helps when it comes in.
    He just can't really use the leg, like it's nerve damage or heck I just don't know.
    Is anyone here a chicken vet or had this issue before? I don't want to spend $200 on a checkup for him, plus what ever other crazy 'tests' the vet wants to do...
    I will get a video tomorrow of him and the leg issues.
    I've tried feeling the whole leg, seems to be the same muscle-wise. It did feel a bit stiff when I went to bend the leg up from the knee up in the body. Hock bends fine, just a bit outward. I've started 'exercising' it for him, maybe it will help in some way.
    Other than the leg, he is totally fine, crows every now and then, he was up on the box roosting, eats and drinks normal.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sorry, I don't know what to tell you but I hope he is better soon. Could be he hurt it jumping down from the roost.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    how old is he? if he is a young bird I would look up Marke's disease. It seems that a vitamin deficiency can be a cause of lameness in chickens, so the vitamins could help if it is not Marke's. good luck

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It's called Marek's Disease, and if only one bird is affected it's not likely. There are several things that can cause leg paralysis, the most common being the ingestion of moldy feed. Even a tiny amout can cause it.
    I had a young bantam rooster who had one paralized leg, the vet is a chicken owner so I took him in. It was due to neurological damage from a tiny crevice with moldy food he'd found under the coop. We ended up putting him down since it had been several weeks with no improvement.

I have since seen it said that treatment with selenium, Vit. E and charcoal tablets crushed in the food may help them heal. There's a thread here somewhere but apparently I didn't bookmark it. [​IMG]

Best of luck on him recovering!

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, with vitamins one leg recovered but the other seems like he messed it up further. He can move it, just not fully. He's the only one with the issue. He's idk, 4-7mo.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    He is doing better. I think by spring he may be ready to go back to the coop.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like he's on the road to recovery, [​IMG] !

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    He walks with a stiff limp, easily slips down to the hock, but he can get back up. Got vit K & B12, gave most of the birds some by mouth, added some to their feed. It was pink and smelled really good...kinda made me want to try some, lol, I didn't though.
    I'll be worming them all tomorrow after work, unless it's raining. Gonna have to get my net out for those Japs...lol.

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I think I'm going to move out all the birdies to the coop this week. The little Silkie, Sizzle, hobble Roo & 2 or 3 Japs[I think there's just 2 in the house...lol]
    Yay, I'll finally be chicken free in the house!!!
    ...until I buy more chicks....hehe

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    hows your little roo doing is he recovering?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by