Sick Roo please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by meglasorious, Jan 18, 2015.

1. meglasorious

meglasorious Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello I'm new to byc but I am in desperate need of your help! My rooster and hen developed a terrible case of frostbite, so I took a hot bag of water and pressed it against their crest, and it got better instantly! However now his crest Is white and has brown spots on it. Please help asap!

2. meglasorious

Jan 18, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    The black parts will probably fall off (and not grow back). The lighter color parts might be ok. I would put "Bag Balm"on the comb it is available at your local farm store or even drug store. You don't want a hot compress just a slightly warm one. You have to warm up frostbite slowly. Watch the combs to make sure they aren't getting infected. You could also put some antibiotic cream on the combs, Neosporin or Polysporin would work. Good luck and post pictures after they are better to let us know how it worked out.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Good luck, and just so you know that is not that bad of a case of frostbite.
    X2 on the above posts advice

1 person likes this.
  5. meglasorious

Jan 18, 2015
    Thank you so much but what are the white parts ?

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your roo and the frostbite. This is an excellent article by Mountain peeps on frostbite including how you may prevent it in the future. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbite

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

2 people like this.
  7. hennible

The white parts are just really early onset frostbite and very dry skin, basically... the bag balm that was recommended by the other poster will help with that. Alternatively you can use lanolin or Vaseline, some people use Vaseline...

1 person likes this.
  8. meglasorious

Jan 18, 2015
    Ok thank you so much do you know anything about the brown spots?

9. hennible

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X2 on the use of bagbalm. Gently rub it all over the comb. This will help prevent infection and heal the outer skin as well. Don't rub to hard as frost bite is painful. Generally when the tips are white, many times you can save this skin. Once it has turned black, this skin will die off eventually. Keep up with the bag balm. It is also a good preventive.

And make sure you have good ventilation in your eaves. 3/4 to 1 square foot per bird in the eaves, vents on opposing walls, one set of vents higher than the other. Keep the birds roosting low to the floor so they are not up in all the moisture they are producing from pooping and breathing. Never shut the higher vents and only close some of the vents if it is a windy night. Otherwise they all need to stay open to keep the coop dry and frost bite free. Unfortunately some roosters are prone to frost bite with their very large combs.

Good luck with your boy! He is a cutie pie! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by