sick roo, please,please help me

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbird, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I have a arooster that is a year old. He is a blue andelusion (sp?) Last week he became very pale and lethargic. He does not have diahrrea and has an excellent appetite. His comb /wattle is pale and almost clear color in spots and eyes are very weak looking. He lays, does not want to roost and just simply does not look well. He was put on antibiotics for a week and basicallly no change. He has also been given b12 shots which seems to perk him up a little for a while.
    Eight days ago he was treated with Ivermectin for mites and worms. He had them really bad! The one thing that I notice about him that stand out is that he continually "shakes" his head, almost like he is trying to clear something out of his throat. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please help me. I am new at this and just don't know what else to do. One other thing, he has been getting oil and his crop messaged just incase thats the problem. He has been eating raw liver, yogart, bread with a few teaspoons of buttermilk and offered pellets. THanks in advance for your time and help.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I am not sure, but are the worms now gone? If he had them really bad they may have depleted him and he is weak. Try some electrolyte solution in his water, may help him feel better. Sometimes the treatments can be toxic too, wormers are poisions, necessary to kill the worms but tough on a sick bird. I hope he gets better. Keep him in if you live in a cold climate until he is a little stronger.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Was it mites or worms that he had? Both? What kind?
    What type of antibiotics did you use? Look into the birds mouth with a flashlight and describe what you see.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If he had a heavy infestation, a broad spectrum wormer like Ivermectin may have caused an intestinal blockage with the dead worms. Get a teaspoon of Molasses down his throat. It is a natural laxative and will help move things along, but sadly, he may be too far gone. [​IMG]

5. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I don't think he had worms, only mites. I will look in his mouth and get back to you in a few. How would I know if he had worms? I did not see any in his feces. The antibiotic that he was on was baytril.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Are his poops solid or just uerates? if solid, then he is still processing food, which is good.

7. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    The inside of his mouth looks pale but other than that ok. He is still shaking his head and opening his mouth and strethching his neck like he has something caught in there. He ate again a whole piece of bread with buttermilk and canola oil on it and devoured it. It makes me believe that he does not have an upper respiratory infrection. He is also pooping normal so there is no blockage there. My husband said that his crop gets the size of a pear, but he is able to masage it and it will go down. Im not sure if he can make that happen on his own. Once his crop is masaged and his crop goes down, he wants to eat again. He is still weak and is sleeping alot. I have noticed that his water intake has lessened so we gave him sub q fluids.

8. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    His poop is both. He had solid this morning. The last few have been watery and white.

9. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    watery and white poop has not proven to be a good sign for me. That seems to mean that they are quite ill.

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It sounds like it could be a Pasteurella germ aka Cholera. Most feed stores carry LA-200. You want to give 1cc in the breast muscle with a 25 gauge needle morning and evening for 3-5 days. If you can't get LA-200 you can use Pennicillin or Duramycin injectible. Draw up 2cc in a syringe, remove the needle and squirt it down the bird's throat. repeat it AM and PM for 3 days. If you don't see improvement it could be something else. You should see improvement in 2-3 days. Don't feed bread or oil. Those two things can bind up the crop. Instead take some yogurt and mix it with water. Moisten some crumbles or pellets of whatever feed you use but don't make it soupy or soggy. Or you can use a probiotic-vitamin in the water and feed and make sure his feed is available and that he's eating. I've had this happen before and treated the flock with Sulfadimethoxine in the water but I had more than a few birds affected by it. It worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by