1. NCcountrylivin

NCcountrylivin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    I'll start off with he's been sick for almost a month. "Red" stopped roosting at night, no bumblefoot, Walked funny, so I de-spurred him. No help. Isolated him a couple of times. Comb looks good, Not holding his tail feathers up. Weak now. Barely can walk a few feet then sits down to rest. The most recent thing I've done is isolated him for 2 days. Fed him electrolytes, vitamins and de-wormed him with Wazine. Let him out this morning, he held his tail feathers up for a while, then sat down to rest. The rest of the flock is fine. No runny discharge, no wheezing, nothing. His poop looks normal, felt his crop, normal. He's eating and drinking. Maybe you guys can give me some other ideas on what to do or look for.

2. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    How about lice or mites?
    Is he still walking funny? Explain that a little more please.

3. NCcountrylivin

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    His walk is like he's unsteady. He Takes a few steps, stand still, then plops down. Peck at the grass around him, then eventually gets back up and does it again. He's not holding his tail feathers up.
    I looked for bugs, lice, etc. Didn't see anything. I haven't dusted him with DE, but I will now just because u asked. Wouldn't I see something in my hens too? I did give him a long soak in water, because his vent was nasty. Trimmed the feathers around it. I figured it was dirty from him sleeping on the floor and not roosting. I was gone for a few weeks and when I got home he was like this. I thought maybe my husband whacked him because he was so mean. He denies that and I have to believe him because he was couch bound recovering from hamstring reattactment surgery. Not walking. The only thing i haven't tried is an antibiotic. Any other ideas. ?

4. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    This is a tough one for me. Hopefully some else will come along with some ideas.
    He sounds like he has a energy problem. My thought was anemic from mites, but you checked for that. Also dehydrated, but the isolation and electrolytes would have taken care of that. Worms came to mind, but you treated with wazine. I guess bacterial infection would be my next thought. To treat properly you would need to know what type of bacteria. Can you take a stool sample to a vet for a fecal float and smear? If not then you could try a broad spectrum antibiotic. You'd want to make sure it would work on both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.
    Good luck! Please keep me updated.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What do you feed?

Cheers!

6. NCcountrylivin

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    It is a hard one. I'm completely stumped, which is why I've reached out. He walks with his tail down. Takes a few steps, then plops down. I've isolated him again. More Electrolytes and vitamin water. I'm going to give him some greek yogurt tomorrow. He normally eats pellet feed, and free ranges. We throw table scraps when there's something they would like. All the chickens wander up onto the porch and eat the dog food. If I decide to use an antibiotic where do I buy it? Tractor Supply? I've never given a chicken a shot. Gosh, I've done things to these chickens I never thought I would be doing. He's gotten really thin also. I've read some on gape worm. But I couldn't really say that he's stretching his neck. I don't have a chicken vet to take a fecal test to. Can any vet do that test? Thanks for answering me.

7. king tail

king tail Show Jumping Dreamer Premium Member

Oct 6, 2014
    at a horse show
    something like that happened to me last year. i had a bantam cockerel that was only a few months old, he started getting weak and could barley walk.he wouldn't roost either but his stool was watery. he got to where he couldn't walk and almost died. i think he ate some poisonous plant. hes not free range but there was a vine that was growing up the wire. but he lived.[​IMG] i hope he gets better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by