Sick Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gamecock, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Gamecock

Gamecock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    Today, I realized something is wrong with my 10 month old rooster, he's acting lathargic, not eating (would not accept bread treats (which he loves) his comb is looking a little wilted and blacken on top edges. He allows you to pick him up which is not like him. I know it's been hot, but we change water daily and there are plenty of cool places around the yard. Also, his legs look a little pale and bottom of feet pink, Please help!!!!!

2. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    I am not an expert. We have only had our chickens for a year but they are pets to us and we try to take very good care of them. We had very similar symptoms from our Dorking Hen last Friday and it got worse all week. Some people told her to put her out of her misery because she didn't eat or drink all week and could barely hold her eyes open. We gave her teramycin (sp) through a syringe orally 3x per day every day since Friday. We brought her in and put her in a separate cage. They can easily make each other sick. We stuck with it! She didn't eat or drink for 6 days and then today....her comb came back up, she stood up and starting eating (scrambled eggs and moist and meaty dog food- her favs....) and drinking. I am not sure she is out of the water but she has made a total turnaround. I called the vet a few days ago and he said that by the time chickens show symptoms like this, it is usually too late but if anything would help, the teramycin would. We decided to keep trying. It took a week but she is almost back to herself. Try it. We bought it from Tractor Supply. Hurry though....At least if you do lose him, you will know you did everything you could.

3. Gamecock

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    WE will certainly try it , Thanks
    [​IMG]
    DJ Joye

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Darkening on the edges of the comb can indicate that he is not getting enough oxygen. Avian Influenza can cause cyanosis and you'll often see some signs of swelling of the comb, wattles, eyes, or face. Generalized signs include depression, decreased activity, huddling, ruffled feathers, decreased feed and water consumption and occasionally greenish diarrhea. If you suspect AI in this rooster, you really should consult your State Veterinarian.

Going in a different direction...have you ever noticed him shaking his head, gaping (opening his beak as if to crow, but nothing comes out), sneezing, coughing? Those can be symptoms of gapeworm, a parasite that attaches itself to the trachea and can slowly suffocate a bird. Treatment for gapeworm is worming with fenbendazole. Antibiotics are sometimes given, as well, to treat secondary respiratory infections.

Just a couple of things for you to consider.

5. Gamecock

Nov 12, 2009
    Columbia Northeast SC
    Thank all of you for trying to help, but my handsome DJ passed away 12:15am 6/18, My husband and I stayed with him until the end and we are both heart broken. DJ was 10mos old on June 18th, He died on his birthday. He was a good rooster and he does leave behind hia mate Nickie and a week old chick. I hope it's a little roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by