1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have an oegb roo thats about a year old and today I noticed him hanging out at the food dish just standing there. After checking a few times and he was still there I decided to reach in and see if he would move and he didn't and I was able to just pick him up. That was indication #2 something was wrong. When I got my hand around him to pick him up, I could feel his breast bone and when I looked it is protruding as if he's starving. Hes crop looked and felt full but wasn't hard so I decided to make him vomit to see what was in there and it was watery layer crumbles. He's very lethargic. When I put him back in I set him in the nest box and I went back to see if getting some of what was in his crop helped and he was laying in the nest box still. So I got a small cage and brought him in so I can watch him better and he has very runny poo but there is a little supstance to it. I put some antibiotics in a dish of water and scrambled up an egg for him. He ate all the egg but is still lethargic and isn't moving around at all. He just laid down and his poo seems to be uncontrolable. I'm afraid he won't make it past tomorrow at this rate.

He don't have a runny nose or eyes, no sneezing and no blood in his poo. It's a normal color but has a very bad smell like a sitting hen would have. His body temp feels normal. Otherwise he doesn't feel cold or too warm. I concidered maybe worms but his poo don't look like it.

This is the roo of a pair that belongs to one of my grandsons and I would really love to save him but don't know what to do. We won't be home tomorrow until the afternoon. I'll make him some more scrambled egg in the morning so he will have a morning meal and leave some scratch grains in with him before I leave.

Any more ideas?????

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Don't give scratch grains! If he was having crop trouble he needs to stay on soft mushy food, Try getting some apple cider vinegar and adding to it. Keep up the scrambled eggs, add vitamins, keep hydrated, keep him somewhat warm, I would worm him with Safeguard- it gets more worms. you don't have to see worms in poo for their to be a problem. If you can get a hold of a product for fish called Fishzole, I would give him one tablet in his water also.

3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I had layer crumbles in their pen and thats what he was eating. I'll make him another egg and I gave the vitamins in his water this morning. He's not standing so when he poos it just goes. I changed his bedding 3 times already and he is in the warm room. He made it thru the night thank goodness.

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This does sound urgent. The lethargy means he is very, very compromised at this point. If you are able to get him vet attention I would do so immediately if not sooner.

Has he been wormed?

JJ

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    He passed just a little bit ago. Poor fella. [​IMG]

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor guy. Boy, sometimes you never even get the chance to figure things out it happens so fast. That's a beatiful dog on your avatar.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:The dog was my best friend in the whole world. She was with me for 13 years till she got cancer last year. I had to put her out of her misery on Sept 13th. She had arthritis in her hips and was loosing her sight and hearing. I thought her slowness was due to her painful joints till she couldn't eat. After exrays and ultrasounds the doc said it's cancer but can't say positivly unless she has surgery and she wouldn't make it thru it alive. It all happened all of a sudden and after a weekend of tests I had to have her put to sleep. That date is now on my short lists of days i'll never forget or get over. I still love her very much. We had a connection that was rare.

8. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    So sorry [​IMG] You could probably disect him. And figure out what was wrong.

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    He was my grandsons and he's here for the weekend and wanted to bury him so he did. I didn't want to cut it open since he's here.

I found a little oegb chick this morning with cocci. I dispatched it and removed everybody else from the pen and disinfected it from top to bottom. There are several chicks in there with my sizzle adults. I hear the chicks are more prone to it than adults so they are in separate pens. I'll put the adults back in their pen and keep the chicks in a separate pen in the shed till I know all is safe. I have them up for sale but now I have to make sure they're safe to sell first. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That roo that died was no where near the chicks and his mate is fine. He didn't have bloody poo either. He had severe dirreah (sp). What ever was wrong with him that caused him to die I don't think is contagous because his mate is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by