sick roo

leedyfeathers

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
VA
My little two face is sick .. here is what ive got so far.
-My rooster is acting sleepy even when standing.
-He has lightly cloudy eyes.
-He has troubles eating (he eats good when he has figured it out) because his coordination is way off. It takes him a few tries to get it.
-his face is pail.
-he has runny poo.
-His breath it stinky when I open his mouth.

- I have isolated him
- given him probioticsYeah electrolyte vitamin mix.. in the bowl of oatmeal I gave him. Mixed I. His water this morning. However I don't know that he is drinking enough because of the coordination.
-checked for lice.. clean
-looked for wounds .. nothing
-Didnt get to look at poo I was watching from window as seen its runny.
Have any idea what could be ailing my boy?

Do his eyes have drainage, or are they swollen? When you say his eyes are cloudy, do you mean the pupil looks opaque? Have you checked his crop to see if it is empty in the morning? If his breath stinks he may have sour crop. How long have you had him? Could the cloudiness in his eyes be blindness, and that is why he is losing coordination, and having trouble finding food? Does he have any signs of respiratory disease--cough, rattles, nasal or eye drainage?

Do his eyes have drainage, or are they swollen?  

No

When you say his eyes are cloudy, do you mean the pupil looks opaque?  

Maybe the word dull would fit.. the overall eyes seem whitish or milky.

Have you checked his crop to see if it is empty in the morning?

Ill check him in morning but his crop looked empty. Id say due to not eating well.

If his breath stinks he may have sour crop.

I am giving probiotics and in morning more oatmeal with yogert.

How long have you had him?

Since he was a hatchling.. 20weeks ago

Could the cloudiness in his eyes be blindness, and that is why he is losing coordination, and having trouble finding food?  

Not sure but today he did look like it cleared up some by that evening but not much. So did his face coloring improved.

Does he have any signs of respiratory disease--cough, rattles, nasal or eye drainage?

Nope

He will amble around if I have food trying to eat sometimes making it when he cant he will stand there a few seconds his eye will go shut then the other and he just stands. If I were to touch him he moves to the back of his pen and eventually lays down.. sometimes digs out a spot.
He doesn't seem to have issues walking as of yet. But if coordination is off then it's bound to happen.

Last edited:
This morning he is even more drowsy. . For the lack of better word. His eyes cloudy again and his walking is more staggered but fa e isn't pail.. YET.

It's possible that he could have coccidiosis, so I would treat him for that today with Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of feedstores. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treating him with Corid will not hurt him if he doesn't have cocci, but it may be a reason for his weakness, lethargy, and runny stools. The other disease that could be a possibility is Mareks, but I would treat him for cocci first while observing his symptoms. After treatment, give him several days of probiotics and vitamins in his water. If he is not drinking the Corid, you must dip his beak to drink, or give him some with a dropper or syringe. Chickens with cocci will commonly stop eating and drinking because of the pain, so they must drink the meds to recover.

It's possible that he could have coccidiosis, so I would treat him for that today with Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of feedstores.  Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days.  Treating him with Corid will not hurt him if he doesn't have cocci, but it may be a reason for his weakness, lethargy, and runny stools.  The other disease that could be a possibility is Mareks, but I would treat him for cocci first while observing his symptoms.  After treatment,  give him several days of probiotics and vitamins in his water.  If he is not drinking the Corid, you must dip his beak to drink, or give him some with a dropper or syringe.  Chickens with cocci will commonly stop eating and drinking because of the pain, so they must drink the meds to recover.

That's what I was thinking I have corid on Hand so will start him on it.

He pecked out 1/4cup of oatmeal egg and grower feed. Poo looks normal today.. he didnt have nothIng yesterday. Opens eyes a tad more is more perky and has a tad more controle standing up but eyes still cloudy.

I have a video of him in attempting to see his eyes its best toward the end. He eats like he is looking through his eyelids.

Back
Top Bottom