1. jdgbirds31

jdgbirds31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    This is only the first day I've noticed these symptoms so maybe I'm overreacting, but I thought I'd post anyway. My Roo has seemed a bit off today... Twice I've found him sleeping up against the house on his own - all puffed up on one foot, and he seems to have pretty watery poop (no blood that I've seen). He is still eating bugs in the yard, feathers look good and so does his comb and wattle, but he does take a lot of breaks while walking around to chill on one foot and puff up. I already put some ACV in the water just to be safe, but he is also the more likely of my birds to drink out of puddles. Everyone else is fine. Am I overreacting? It is chilly today...

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Doesn't sound normal. Has he been wormed lately?

3. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
    I have only had him about 6 weeks and haven't done it, I don't know about previous to that.

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Do you have any safeguard or other wormers? Even on the coldest days mine were active and alert, something has him feeling weak and worms would be my first guess.

5. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
    I don't have any but I'll pick it up tomorrow. Should I just deworm the whole crew to be safe? I've never done it before.... It's only been a year that I've had chickens. Thx for your help.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yes, worm the whole flock use Safeguard or Valbazen. You might want to treat your flock for coccidia, since you haven't had him long and he is ill now. Corid will treat coccidia.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
    Our local store only has wazine - Amazon has a rooster booster multi-worm product... Anyone familiar w that?

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Safeguard is a cattle or goat product, did you check that section or just the poultry section? Wazine can be used, but it does not cover as many varieties as Safeguard so it may or may not work on the type worms a bird has. I am not familiar with the rooster booster product any idea what the active ingredient is?

9. jdgbirds31

Apr 15, 2014
    Rooster booster has hygromycin B. I saw safeguard for horses but not goats or cattle.

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Okay rooster booster doesn't look too promising. It is apparently intended as a "continuous use" preventative, not a cure once they are already infested. Safeguard is Fenbendazole also known as Panacur. Horse paste Panacur can be used as well if you can get the paste into them, the liquid drench for sheep,goats, cattle is easier to administer. I will try to find some info on the Wazine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948709/rooster-booster-wormer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by