sick rooster and hen, question?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychics, Dec 13, 2014.

1. happychics

happychics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2014
    texas
    They contracted fowl pox and now having resperatory issues, rooster is on the way to recovery, my questions are, will he always be a carrier? Can he cause the healthy hens to become carriers as well if breeding? My hen is still pretty sick with weezing and breathing though she is somewhat better, can humans catch any of this from tending to them?

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    I have had fowl pox in my flock, and it is really bad!! Luckily through breeding ure flock can become immune to it, my flock has finally become immune!!!

No, your rooster will not always be a carrier!!! Fowls pox goes away after some time...but that time depends...I had a hen who had it for 2 weeks and another for 2 months!!

No, he cannot pass it to them through breeding!! It is passed on mainly by mosquitos!!! He can actually make ure flock immune to it with proper breeding!!

No, humans cannot get it!!

Oh, by the way...welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

3. happychics

happychics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2014
    texas
    Thanks for the info! Very helpful! Sorry for all the questions but I have 1 more. Is it OK to eat the eggs of a hen on antibiotics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by