Sick Rooster- Any ideas? ~ Update!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseychick2, Jan 7, 2014.

1. horseychick2

horseychick2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    I noticed this morning that my polish rooster was lethargic and had a yellow discharge from his nose. This afternoon he was moving around a bit more, but I saw that his eyes had a discharge too. His face was also a little puffy/swollen. I've given him electrolytes so far, and there's a heat lamp in the coop since it's been so cold. If he's not better soon, like in the next day or two, I'm gonna take him to the vet. Any thoughts on what this could be and what else I can do to make him feel better will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Coryza comes to mind

3. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    That is a possibility, although I have no idea where he could have gotten it from. Dang, I hope that's not it. Thanks for the reply

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have a bad smell to his head? Mycoplasma gallisepticum (CRD) as well as coryza have the symptoms you describe, but in coryza, there is usually a bad odor before starting antibiotics. These diseases will make carriers out of the chickens and the rest who are exposed. Here is a link for common diseases with symptoms and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    I haven't noticed a smell, at least not yet. Thanks for the link, I really hope it's not a disease where they will become carriers.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vet may be able to test him for one of the respiratory diseases. The problem that most people have is that their vets won't see chickens. AAfter reading the link I posted, you can get many of the antibiotics listed for treatment at your local farm store. Tylan 50 injection is good for mycoplasma, and with Coryza, sulfadimethoxine or Di-Methox will treat that. Tylan also makes a soluble powder available for the water. The heat lamp is a good idea since respiratory diseases can cause them to chill. Good luck.

7. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    I know of a vet that will see chickens, so I will try to get an appointment for Friday or this weekend. I'd rather know what is wrong before treatment, since I've never dealt with disease before. I'll probably get the meds anyway though, just so I have them on hand. Thanks again, I appreciate the help

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can get the Tylan50 or Tylan Soluble Powder, I would go ahead and start it. He cold get pretty sick by the weekend without them. There are other diseases, but mycoplasma or CRD is pretty common. Some are viruses which won't respond to antibiotics, except for preventing a secondary infection. CRD is a mycoplasma, but responds to AB's. Many times there are other things going on--underlying bronchitis, coccidiosis or E.Coli infection which can complicate things. Here is a link for injections: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

9. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    Ok, I'll do that then. Thank you so much

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    He should be inside where it's warm.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by