sick rooster final question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ariesmom, May 8, 2011.

1. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I've had alot of questions lately about my new sick rooster ( definitely coryza) and hen that I got last tues....I put them in with my one hen and duck for a whole 24 hrs BEFORE I realized he was ill...I'm at the point now that I'm ready to call the man that I bought them from to take them back BUT I need some advise about my existing hen and duck that were in close quarters with the 2 sick ones...
    Do you think they are now carriers too even though here it is Sunday and no one looks ill or did we get lucky and no one caught it? I'd love to acquire new healthy chicks ( no more adult purchases...I learned my lesson ) because the whole reason why I got the rooster to begin with was I wanted to give hatching a try... Should I wait for a while to see if any signs of illness come up and if none do assume no one is ill?? I don't know what to do and the duck is my daugther's pet and the hen was an easter gift 2 yrs ago as a chick...both are sentimental to our family. I'm confused with this 'carrier' phrase I keep reading....could they now host the disease and not show symptoms or will they definitely come down with something soon? HELP!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I believe if they do not show symptoms then they did not have the illness, I am not 100% sure on this but its what I have read. I would wait and see there is an incubation time so you might have to wait a couple of weeks to see if they come down with it. I am sorry you are going though this. Is there a state vet you might be able to call and see what the chances are that your hen and duck will come down with this. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by