Sick rooster? HELP!

eggplucker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Our rooster, Frankie, abouit 4 1/2 weeks old, isn't looking so good. He's not eating much and his activity level has dropped to near zero. He sleeps all the time, even when holding him.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might do? I think he's dying, and there may be nothing I can do, but I don't want to overlook any possibities.

Thanks,

eggplucker

Well, he probably either is sick or too hot. Excessive sleepiness is often due to cocci, so I would give electrolytes, vitamins and corid. Separate from the other birds. What is the temperature where you are?

Have you picked him up? Does he feel hot to touch? Are his wings droopy? I would give cool water, vitamins and electrolytes right away. If he feels hot, put him in a tub of water by a fan. Droopy wings can be heat exhaustion held away from body , but if just drooping near body, probably cocci so corid in the water as well.

There's something called Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and supplement. I don't know where to get it. In the meantime put a splash of gatorade in some water and drop it from a dropper on top of his beak (it'll roll down around into his beak so all he has to do is swallow). Few drops at a time. Then wait for the swallow. Is he still on chick starter? In the meantime, if you can't find Sav-A-Chick, get the Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamin down at most drug or grocery stores (get the one without the iron in it). Add a couple drops to the gatorade mixture.

There is a tendency sometimes for chicks to become vitamin deficient (at least that's what I've read on here). I think they can be deficient in the B's and maybe E. Not certain but the baby vitamin is nice and safe. Use that until you can get the other stuff. Then just lots of attention.

Back
Top Bottom