sick rooster..help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kwalz07, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Kwalz07

Kwalz07 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    So for past few days I've noticed our rooster stop crowing. He's been eating and drinking but has been roosting instead of going out with the rest. I also noticed green poop this morning. What's up?! What can I do? Pls help

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked him for body condition? Or parasites on his body? When was he wormed last? And what did you use? What do you feed the flock?

3. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    I haven't wormed him as of yet..sry I'm brand new and was never told any of this! Could this be the issue? If so what should I use? Do I need to worm all chickens? The chickens were just started on adult food like 4 weeks ago

4. enola

How old are your chickens? Have you brought in any new chickens lately? How many treats do you feed them?

You can use Safeguard to worm your chickens. It is in the cattle supply section at TSC.

5. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Perfect thank . He is 5 months along with another chicken n the other 3 are 4 months. They eat blue seal home fresh poultry feed. We feed them the scraps from our foods daily.

6. enola

Have you checked for mites or lice? How is his body weight?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has he lost his voice, or does he just not crow? Silent gasping or no voice can mean aspergillosis, a fungal disease from mold spores. Green poop can mean certain diseases, but usually means not eating, so there's mostly bile in it. Does he have any diarrhea, signs of respiratory disease (nasal drainage watery eyes, swollen face or around eyes, wheezes/gurgles,) is he eating, or any trouble walking or balancing? You might put him in a crate inside a cool part of your house so that you can watch him closely for symptoms. Below are both good types of wormer containing fenbendazole. The horse paste goes pretty far (dosage 1 pea-size glob) and the liquid goat wormer is 1/2 ml for standard, 1/4 ml for bantams, and 3/4 ml for very large chickens. Here is a link on aspergillosis: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks for the help. He was crowing regularly and just stopped out of the blue and decreased activity and I found it odd for him and now concerned. I will seclude him and watch him. No eye drainage or nose drainage or coughing

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    As previously recommended, check for lice and mites. Also check his crop for impaction, feel his keel bone to see if he has lost weight. Keep us up to date on any changes.

10. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Ok I will do that definitely. How do I check for impaction? And what do mites lice look like??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by