sick rooster helpppp!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigrooster42, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bigrooster42

Bigrooster42 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    My rooster I just got is sick and has a limp leg and he is a nice guy and is beautiful. His nose has dried snot on it and he is puffed and is weasing I seperated him from the three girls What's going on and what should I do. I would've posted pics of him but I don't want to disturb him while he's resting please help!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, in your other post you said he had a foul smell, but didn't mention the limp leg. Does he limp, or is the leg dragging? He could have coryza, but the limp doesn't sound good. That could possibly be mycoplasma or MS in the leg, or a sprain.

3. Bigrooster42

Dec 14, 2013
    Its a limp. He will hop on one foot only but I just discovered some torn skin down there between the toes and the smell is from the snot! Whewww and it smells!!!

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The limp may not even have anything to do with the foul smelling discharge but that makes me think respiratory infection immediately. I would give an antibiotic. Duramycin is my line of defense. You can get it in powder form at any Tractor Supply store. The leg is a different story. If you got him like that you won't know when he got it so it could be permanent.

5. Bigrooster42

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks the foot got hurt when we brought him home two days ago. How much is that stuff? And could I give him an human antibiotic for now because I can't afford it till Friday?!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might not like this, but if it were me I would cull him or take him back. Coryza is a carrier disease, meaning he will infect others and never be cured--only in remission if he gets better. You can treat him with Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox), Sulmet , or Tylan50 injections or Powder, and he might get better for awhile, but the others may get it. If those 4 others have been with him, they may already be exposed, but if you have other healthy chickens, I would not ever put him in with them. His leg problem could be a sprain, which can be common in roosters because they are so active, but it could also be mycoplasma synoviae which is a type of CRD in the bones. That can be treated with Tylan50 injections or Tylan Soluble Powder in the water. Mycoplasma and coryza can happen at the same time. Here is a list of those diseases to read about them: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. Bigrooster42

Dec 14, 2013
    What's cull?

8. Ellisa

Ellisa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Here is the definition from Merriam-Webster:
    cull
    Pronunciation: \\ˈkəl\\
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French culier, coillir, from Latin colligere to bind together more at collect
    Date: 13th century
    1: to select from a group : choose <culled the best passages from the poet's work>
    2: to reduce or control the size of (as a herd) by removal (as by hunting) of especially weaker animals ; also : to hunt or kill (animals) as a means of population control

==============Basically, its a nice way to say kill/put to rest, the rooster/chicken b/c it's badly deformed, wounded, ect.================

9. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    I'm so sorry, I know what you are going thru. I made a huge mistake purchasing some Pullets from someone on Craigslist once. They appeared completely healthy but the next Day all started sneezing, the Eyes started to swell shut and they had awful smelling nasal discharge. I've tried Grapefruit Seed Extract (I like to try natural Remedies first) which I believe wasn't strong enough, Duramycin seemed to not help at all but Tylan Soluble Powder worked! But they will always be Carriers and can get Outbreaks. I hope he gets better and hopefully your Girls don't get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by