Sick Rooster.. no response... PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HIM!

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
I posted a message this morning - I had one response suggesting the problem may be wry neck.

Can anyone here help me to help Phillipe my 2 year old Rooster - I can't bear to think that there is nothing I can do to help him - I am prepared to stay up all night to hear from anyone who may have ANY suggestion as to what I can do to help him.....

I can't let him die without more effort - he doesn't deserve this... someone somewhere must have some input......

Suzie

Suzie - I don't know the details but if he's that sick, get him to an avian vet pronto, if you can. Sounds like he needs you to get him help fast.
JJ

Thanks for the responses - the earlier message was also entitled Sick Rooster - it gave details of what symptoms he was showing - he has a problem in swallowing - food is sticking in his neck/throat due to either a foreign object or a tumour - his crop is fine.

He twists his neck around to try and get the food past the area causing the problem - I gave him some bread soaked in oil and that has made no difference - I am going to try him with some honey now.

No Vet here would help.

I am amazed that he is still alive...... I won't give up on him while he shows interest in his surroundings.

Did this begin suddenly, or gradually?
I have never run across this problem, so unfortunately cannot be of much help. Anything you can do to offer him food that is easy to swallow would be recommended but of course I'm sure you're doing that.
Poor fellow
sad.png

What is his diet normally?
JJ

can you feel the "object" in his neck.?
if it is an object you can always try very carefully push the food up out of his neck....
see if you pry his mouth open and grab it out if it close enough... give him lots of water.. to help dislodge it..
if it a tummor then the best thing to do is take him to a vet or put him down. but sounds like the second one isnt an option for you..
id take him to a vet..

Quote:
There was someone that had a similar problem with a hen , someone mentioned " gapeworm" infestation , they finally had to put the hen down and they did their own autopsy and found a tumor .

I think if he had something caught in his throat he would be actually stretching his neck forward and opening his mouth repeatedly. That is what the poor hen who was suspected of having gape worm was doing. Unfortunately she did turn out to have a tumor.

To keep him hydrated if he is having problems drinking you can drip water with a syringe or dropper down the side of his beak while it is raised up. You could add one of those vitamin packets that they sell at the feed store to the water too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom