Sick rooster......please help: Pic's added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barnyard, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have a 19 wk old BR roo in with 6 hens. I went out this afternoon to check on the crew and noticed that he was acting a little funny. Not sure how to word this but here goes.....
    He would be standing there and then his head will slowly ease down towards the ground. He would then pull it back up and move a bit and then his head does the same thing. It is like he can not hold his head up. He is a little off balance too. I brought him in side so that I could check him over. I can not find one thing that looks different or that shouldn't be there. I watched him inside and he is still doing the same thing. He is eager to eat but can not keep his head up.
    Does anyone have any idea's what this could be. All the others seem to be doing fine. Thanks in advance.
    Tiffany

Here are a few pictures of him once I got him inside to show you what he looks like....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edited to add photo's and to say that the third photo is how he stands with his head on the ground.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    hmmm, I am not sure. I do know that when my roo was sick he did the same thing with his head. Perhaps he just isn't feeling well. Maybe some vitamins and electrolytes in water and maybe someone with more ideas will be on soon!

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    He is still about the same this morning. But he was up and crowing at 7:30...[​IMG]

Thanks. I have started him on the vitamins and electrolytes, and I am gonna start im on terramycin for now untile some one comes along to give me an idea of what this might be. I have no poultry vets around here so I am on my own with this one.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    He sure is a hansome fellow! I hope he is feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks chickenchick..... I think so to. I sure hope he pulls through this, what ever it is....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Me too! It's not like you have enough birds!!! JK [​IMG]

I hope he's just worn out from lovin' and needs chicken gator-aid!

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I wonder if it's Mareks. Have you brought any new birds into your flock lately?

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Do his eyes appear to be sunken at all? In the 2nd pic, it looks like maybe...but not sure. Any changes in droppings?

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Me too! It's not like you have enough birds!!! JK [​IMG]

I hope he's just worn out from lovin' and needs chicken gator-aid!

That is true. I am kicking my self in the butt right now because I gave away my other BR rooster...[​IMG]

10. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:No Carri. I haven't brought any new birds into my flock. These are from eggs that I have hatched myself. How would I know if it is Mareks and how do I treat it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by