Sick rooster, please help!!!Poultry pox??Pics attached.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckinnewbie, Feb 11, 2012.

1. cluckinnewbie

cluckinnewbie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Hello everyone newbie to this site found it while google searching on my boy.I have a mutt rooster he is half Silkie with who knows what.Very pretty boy.He is about 8 months old and a week or two ago he got some spots on his comb/waddles.I was told by a neighbor not to worry it is Poultry Pox.Will go away in a month or so.Well now today he is laying on his side,doesn't want to stand up.He even let me pick him up and take pics.While he is not normally mean he isn't a cuddler either LOL.I looked at his feet and all over,he seems OK except he is acting lethargic.I don't see anything wrong with his feet that would make him not want to walk.Will attach pics of the "pox" & feet.Please help me and my baby boy.He is so pretty and I do love him so!Oh and he is housed with two other hens but they are half his size so I don't think he is being picked on,he gets eggs weekly and good quality food and sunflower seeds.He and his cage mates have also been wormed about 3 months ago now with Valbazen orally.I think that's it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Poor guy!! Do a search on this forum for "fowl pox" and look for pictures of others with it to help you verify that's what it is...(unless someone else gives you a definitive answer shortly!). I've never experienced it with my chickens so I don't know what it is. I do remember it being discussed alot though so you'll find oodles of info on it. Someone will give you better info soon! Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here is a link to fowl pox no picture but will get you started. Look in your roos mouth and throat to see if there are lesions there if they are then it's wet pox and can be fatal, might be why he is on his side he isn't eating or drinking. I have never had this in my flock so can't be sure but I will try to find you some more info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/614481/fowl-pox

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560091/fowl-pox

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/371742/fowl-pox look at post 5 looks like your roo.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    I don't see anything inside his mouth or on his tongue.When I googled Fowl Pox I came to this site and a few other and the pics look very similar for the DRY pox.I wasn't too concerned until today.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is he eating and drinking? most things i have read about dry pox is they usually recover. maybe something secondary is going on. Maybe try to get him to drink some poultry vits mixed into his water. Nutri Drench is really great for sick birds.

Here is another link about fowl pox from First State poultry http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/20/37/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    He was eating and drinking until today.Now he is just laying there with his feet poking out from under him on one side.I have been collecting the eggs from the females for incubation.How long after the last mating will the eggs be fertile?I don't want to be wasting infertile eggs.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have heard 2 weeks, so sorry for the lil guy and you. [​IMG]

8. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    Well it's over.My boy died this morning.Upon closer looking in better light I saw he had some yellow type stuff in his mouth.Neighbor said it was the pox.It went wet.Now I'm scared my two hens will get it.So far they look clean.Thank you for the help.Feel kinda dumb crying over a stupid chicken but he was just so pretty.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Believe me we all understand and i am very sorry to hear he passed. Add some AVC to their drinking water2 tab. to 1 gallon of water If you could get some Oxine ah and put it in their water that would help too. [​IMG]

10. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Totally understand the tears...you get attached to these critters. I'm so sorry he died. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by