sick rooster! please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tres8922, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tres8922

tres8922 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    My old English bantam roo has a grayish comb with small white spots and has now fallen over today. He gets a good feed for gamebirds and electrolytes in water. Ive searched online and don't know what to do. Please help![​IMG][/IMG]

2. tres8922

tres8922 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Please help!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    His comb looks like the skin is dry. You might rub a little coconut or other oil into it. Many chickens will have a flopped over comb, and that doesn't always mean something is wrong. If he is alert, active, and eating well, I wouldn't worry. In winter roosters can suffer from lowered testosterone, and he may just be taking a break.

4. tres8922

tres8922 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    thank you so much!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, and I would keep a close eye on him. My 3 year old rooster has been having some issues this winter as well since he finished his molt, and the things I have done are worming him with Valbazen (SafeGuard is a good alternative,) and putting vitamins and probiotics in his water twice a week to increase his immunity. Your guy might benefit from some scrambled egg or high protein gamebird feed occasionally as well. Good luck, and check back if he acts lethargic or stands around puffed up, and stops eating.

6. tres8922

tres8922 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    He just started acting lethargic. I gave him a shot of tylan 50. Any recommendations for what to put in his water??

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When was the last time he drank water by himself?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Electrolytes and vitamins with probiotics may help, but he needs to drink it. Is he having diarrhea? The Tylan can help if he has a respiratory problem or enteritis in his intestines. Could he have coccidiosis? Corid or amprollium is best to treat that in the water for 5-7 days, but don't mix that with the other things.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If he is dehydrated, that can contribute to lethargy. If he IS dehydrated the antibiotics can/will not work in his system.

10. tres8922

tres8922 New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    He's out of his slump! He never stopped eating or drinking just looked sad. His comb has the color back and is even starting to stand back up. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by