Sick rooster, please somebody help me!! (new picture added)

NC29mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Scotland Neck, NC
My japanese BTW rooster (approximately 3-4months old) has been acting funny for two days now. He has his head kind of slumped down, appears weak and not eating or playing as much as usual. I threw about 10 live crickets in the pen yesterday, and he just sat there, which is very unusual for him.

I keep 2 japanese BTW rooster together - they are my avatar. We had a hen, but she died at about a month old. I have chicks that I just got and hoping they will grow up to be companions for my roosters (16 japanese BTW).

I am very concerned about my rooster. He is one of my favorites (ok, they are all my favorites, but he's so nice) For the last few weeks or so, Luther (sick one) and Tiger have been getting out of their little section and hanging out with our 13 BO hens/1 bantam rooster. I have never noticed them eating poo. They did get into the hens feed which is laying mash (purina brand). They have their own separate feed and water and I feed them the 2nd level of chick feed (forgot the protein percentage).

Any help will be appreciated, as I am really concerned about my Luther.

PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP!!!

*****Here's a picture of my Luther. He is usually up running around and having a good ole time.

60664_chicks2_037.jpg

60664_chicks2_038.jpg

60664_chicks2_042.jpg

Last edited:
no, I don't give them grit. Should I? The pen they are in has sand and dirt, I thought that was all they needed. I just went and looked and there isn't any funny looking poo in the pen.

Isolate him....keep him warm & quiet..... Watch closely for any other symptoms...you can't really treat till you know what you're dealing with.
Electrolytes in his drinking water.
If he won't drink on his own...use a syringe or eyedropper. You don't want him to become dehydrated. You can also give him pedialyte.
Try feeding him scrambled egg, finely chopped apple, yogurt, cooked oatmeal, canned corn....to stimulate the appetite.

Let us know how he's doing...good luck!

I wish I had Tylan, but I don't

I had my big rooster acting a bit like this one time before and a friend told us to use Duramycin. We did, and the rooster got better. SO, I did mix up the Duramycin last night. Just went out and used a dropper to give him the antibiotic and water out of the gallon water feeder (in other words, not a concentrated dose).

I thought about the egg thing, I will try that also. I just ordered a bunch of vitamin/electrolyte and other medicine stuff so I could start a chicken medicine cabinet of sorts. It won't be here until Tuesday, I'm sure. There is absolutely no where to get anything around here. I live in the sticks. Tractor Supply carries 2 antibiotics, Duramycin and another one that started with an A (my friend borrowed it - can't remember the name).

I am going to be completely devestated if something bad happens to my Luther.

I just got 34 chicks yesterday and I can't even be excited because my poor luther feels bad. I feel so helpless. We don't have a vet that will see a chicken around here, we would have to travel >100 miles.

Thanks for the input!

TSC carries tylan. But duramyacin is also an antibiotic, only thing is that the injectable might take hold of the problem faster than the oral. Sorry I can't help much more...

Back
Top Bottom