1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~~~~ Sick Rooster: Possibly very dangerous disease. Need help now.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skip, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a rooster today and I just found out that he was sick.

Symptoms:

Raspy breathing through the mouth (as my brother put it, it sounds like someone's trying to suck the last bit of juice out of the bottom of

Coughing

Watery nasal discharge

Unthriftiness

He's quite quiet.

Other notes:

He pooed one time and it was rather greenish and watery. Next time he crapped, it was regular.

He still has a good appetite.

He's still quite a hard one to catch!

I put him in a crate with food and water and put him by a heater in a warm room. I think he might have Infectious Laryngotracheitis, and I'm scared out of my mind because STUPID STUPID SSTTUUPPIIDD me tended to this guy before I did my other chickens.

[​IMG] I'm so scared for them all!

Please help me!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    sounds like a cold, antibiotic might clear that up.

3. Skip

Thanks.

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Chickens don't get colds! They can get a sinus infection (which this doesn't sound like to me), but I don't think they just get harmless colds.

I know I have seen members on here recommend things to put in your healthy birds' water to ward off illness--something like apple cider vinegar, garlic? Someone will hopefully chime in who uses these things specifically.

If I were you, after having disease and getting rid of my entire beloved flock last summer, I wouldn't keep this rooster. Whatever he has could be contagious even after he gets well, because some illnesses leave recovered birds as life long carriers, meaning even though they act healthy they still shed the disease and can infect your other chickens.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I agree.

6. Skip

Edit: The nasal discharge seems to smell bad.

7. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:CULL< CULL< CULL..... if the nasal discharge smells its coryza its highly contagious and he will remain a carrier and shed it to your other chickens....

8. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Coryza was one of the diseases my old flock had. Just FYI, Sulmet will cure them, but they will be carriers for life. I would also cull this rooster. I hope your flock is ok!

To cull, if you have a vet, they might put him to sleep. My dog and cat vet put one of my birds to sleep for me for free.

9. Skip

I was going to use the old-fashioned method: .22

How should I dispose of him? Burn? Burial?

10. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

you should be fine with either one... If you burn I'd still burry the ashes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by