1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Rooster. Respiratory?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buttonsdobsydoo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. buttonsdobsydoo

buttonsdobsydoo New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    Hey all,

My rooster silver-laced Wyandotte, Mickey has been having respiratory problems. He is gurgling with a slight discharge in his nose. He does not appear lethargic. He eats pretty well. He is around 7 or 8 years old. We have been giving him for duramycin-10( tetracycline hydrochloride) almost a week with little results. I have soaked bread with it and also given him some in a syringe orally as well as in his water, although he doesn't drink much. Should I change the treatment? We also have liquid penicillin but have not given him a shot as I am unsure as to how much to give him. Thank you for any advice :)

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It could be a viral infection, so antibiotics will do little to relieve the symptoms (but they can fend off secondary infections). The only thing i do in such circumstances usually is add vitamin supplements to the whole flocks' drinking water and monitor them - the supplements boost the immune system, which (assuming it is viral) will help him to fight it.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by