Sick rooster was covered in mites / gasping ?

Chimbica1988

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2022
Hi everybody,
My neighbors rooster was covered in mites and laying on its side

I took him home to help and washed him with flea and mite shampoo from my dogs and blow dried him

Now he dry and in my bath tub and is propped up with some towels to keep his chest and neck and head up but now he is doing this gasping motion and I don’t know what to do 😔

He raises his head up and opens his beaks wide and then lowers his head down and does it again and again - but no wheezing sound

I'm sorry but it sounded like impending death. Make sure he's warm and dry, as comfortable as you can make him.

Yes once the mites started coming all of him
Often the open-mouth breathing you are describing is a sign of impending death, but not always. If he were mine I would dry him off with a hairdryer, then get him in a really warm room (85 degrees is ideal for birds this sick). Can you post a picture of him?

Often the open-mouth breathing you are describing is a sign of impending death, but not always. If he were mine I would dry him off with a hairdryer, then get him in a really warm room (85 degrees is ideal for birds this sick). Can you post a picture of him?
Yes I did that! He is in a warm bathroom - should I turn a red light on for him ??

Attachments

• B7B72027-7459-43AB-BE1C-72BAF5451BC4.jpeg
    B7B72027-7459-43AB-BE1C-72BAF5451BC4.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 3
Update as of this Saturday morning: he is alive and eating all the tomatoes I give him and some crushed corn too!
Any other suggestions you guys might have ?

Back
Top Bottom