Sick Rooster - what do I do? Help please....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzie, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    My 2 year old Rooster has been lethargic for a few days, his beak was not closing properly and we trimmed it back and thought all was fine..... however, he appears to have a problem in swallowing food, his neck twists around and it seems he has a problem with his crop - maybe a tumour or he has ingested something that won't pass. I tried massaging his crop area but is there anything I can do further for him?

I have given him bran and soft foods but he eats very little - his poop is like thick white fluid.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Thanks

Suzie

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Hi! Thanks for a response - I did wonder about wry neck..... I thought ( maybe mistakenly) that it only affected young birds.

He is eating very little, I gave him some scrambled egg this afternoon and he managed a little but after about 10 minutes he starts to wring his neck around - I am offering him chick food, bran and anything I feel may encourage him to eat - he is very thin now, I picked him up this afternoon and could feel his keel - I am at a loss as to what to do for him - I feel he will probably not survive the night - this is heartbreaking......

I am in tears - help me please with anything that may help him to get better!!!!

Thanks

Suzie

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is his crop full looking in the morning? Any sour breath smell?

If his crop is full in the morning, then he could have a blockage. I've read here that break soaked in olive oil can help.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The problem seems now to be in his neck - the crop is empty and ok - I think he has a blockage caused by a tumour or he has a foreign object lodged there.

I tried bread soaked in oil - he took some into his beak but he has such difficulty in swallowing so hence his neck keeps twisting - I am going to try some honey now to see if he can pass that through the area easily - I am afraid I am going to lose him - no Vet here would entertain treating him - thanks for your advice, I won't give up on him and he is getting some nutrition - only a miracle will help.

Unfortunately he is in a moult too which doesn't help the situation....

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Suzie

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I had an adult silkie chicken with what I think was wry neck. This was before I was on the BYC forum unfortunately. She had a hard time eating because of the neck twisting.

Here is a copy/paste:

Wry Neck (Crooked Neck)

A bent neck can be a genetic condition or can be the result of a vitamin deficiency. When it is the result of a genetic condition, there is no treatment. Some breeds, such as silkies, are more prone to getting it genetically. Vitamin treatment is still worth a try. If the wry neck is a result of vitamin deficiency, the vitamin treatment should clear it up.

Vitamin E gel caps with Selenium - give the chicken the liquid from the gel caps. Make sure to get the kind with Selenium for proper absorption.

Polyvisol without iron - this is a liquid vitamin supplement labeled for infants. Get it at the drug store or some grocery stores. Can be used in addition to vitamin E when treating wry neck.

A more comprehensive treatment:

First week:

Twice a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Once a day
    A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
    Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)

For the second week:

Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Every other day

For the following weeks:

Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Every third day

Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose gradually.

Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at least.

I got this from a helpful link that addresses treatments for a variety of ailments: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6580204

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    scratch'n'peck.....

just read your message

I will try him with the suggestion if he is still responsive - he is very weak and tired at the moment and I suspect he will die very soon - the neck twists after he eats and I have thought he had a tumour as I could feel a lump under his wattles - he has managed a little food today but he is struggling to get it down..... so sad

Thank you so much!

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by