sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by two j farm, May 25, 2016.

1. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I have had 2 to die and 3 more that will not stand up. They just lay in one spot kicking around if I pick them up they just fall over. I feed them layer but I just read that's not good for them could that be what is killing them. HELP![​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Can anyone help me please! Should I stop feeding them layer if so what should I feed them?

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

Firstly, you might get a better response to your question if you post in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section.... this is the New Member Introductions area..
    Secondly, a lot more information is required.....particularly...
    Age of birds?,
    How long this has been going on?
    Are the symptoms all the same? Be more specific about the symptoms.... do they go lame first and then become unable to get up.... do they lie with one leg forward and one back suggesting possible Marek's virus outbreak? .Do they stand hunched up for a few days before they keel over?
    What sort of management regime do you have?.... coop and run or free range? Could they have been poisoned or accessed something bad for them? If you have a lot of roosters, perhaps your neighbours are not happy!!!

Whilst feeding roosters layers pellets is not ideal and may eventually, over a number of years, cause kidney problems due to high levels of calcium, I very much doubt that is the cause of the problems you are having.

You could send one off to your state lab for a necropsy, as that will give you a much better idea of the problem that us stabbing in the dark with the limited information you have provided so far.

Regards

Barbara

5. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I don't have any roosters at this point but I've been reading a lot about different types of feed and when to switch over to layer feed since my hens just started laying. From what I gather, and as a general rule, layer feed of course has more calcium, to the tune of about 3%-4% more, than feeds that don't contain calcium and were designed for mixed flocks or birds under 16-18 weeks old. And the non-layer feeds have higher protein than layer feed. The higher calcium in layer feeds can cause young chickens to have kidney problems since their bodies can't get rid of the extra calcium. I would think that would be the case if roosters ate it too but I've read all over the forums that it doesn't negatively affect roosters, so I'm not sure about that one. When I do get a rooster in a few months I'm planning to switch to either one of the "all-flock" feeds from Nutrena or Purina or put them back on starter-grower feed since the extra protein doesn't have any negative consequences. I even read some flocks really need the extra protein and it keeps them from pulling and eating feathers. Anyway if I were you, and not being an experienced chicken-raiser or vet, I'd start by fixing the things it might be, such as changing the feed to one without calcium. If that doesn't do it move on to the next thing by looking for parasites, evaluating for disease, etc.

6. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    My chickens are in coops with large runs I have four coops and four runs all the hens are fine. They are all 1 to 2 years old I worm my chicken 2 times a year and dust them every 4 month for mites. The roosters just can't stand up its been going on for about 5 days. No sign of anything just went to feed and 2 was down. They died the next day. Now 3 more down I pick them up they just fall back down and lay on their side. This is happening in just two pens. I stoped feeding layer today and started vitamins. Maybe that helps. And I live in the country don't have many neighbor's [​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

8. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I gave them some chick starter this morning and some bread from my hand and yes they are drinking I put water next to them. It will not let me post pic. But I just checked on them and their comb is turning a gray color on the tips. Their poop is white and yellow. I had two hens last year that died from heart failure and their comb looked the same. If they die I will have necropsy done.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear this.
    A necropsy will be beneficial in knowing what your are dealing with.
    Please let us know what you find out.

10. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I checked on them this morning 2 of them are up walking around the other one is still laying down but he is eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by