1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckkfarm, Dec 11, 2017.

1. ckkfarm

ckkfarm In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2017
    Texas
    Hi everyone! My name is Karen and I am new to this group. I have 5 hens, 3 roosters, and one guinea fowl in my flock. We have had our flock for 9 months. One of my roosters started crowing differently when we had a severe drop in weather. He now is congested, has green poop, and is not as active. The rest of my flock seems fine. I started using ACV in water the past 2 days and he is separated from flock. Please advise what to do

2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Cluck cluck. Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Can you post some pictures of him? Is his crop impacted? Is he eating and drinking? Where did you get your birds from? Are any of the other chickens showing symptoms?

3. ckkfarm

ckkfarm In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2017
    Texas
    Except for His crow sounding off he was acting normal until this evening. He did not eat or drink this evening. Checked and nothing in throat. No signs of mites or lice. None of the others are showing any signs of illness.

Attached Files:

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. ckkfarm

ckkfarm In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2017
    Texas
    We have raised our roosters/hens since they were babies and have had them for almost a year. We got them from Tractor Supply in February last year

5. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Cluck cluck. Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I’m not well versed in diagnosing chicken illnesses. Hopefully others will chime in and be able to help you out. I hope your rooster gets better soon.

6. ckkfarm

ckkfarm In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks! We haven't had any problems until now. We really thought it was the weather as it recently dropped from around 50 degrees at night to about 20. Even though we left coop open for roosters to go in, he refused and slept on top of hens coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by