Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by J&M Quik Chik, Sep 26, 2018.

1. J&M Quik Chik

J&M Quik Chik Hatching

Sep 26, 2018
    Hi there,
    I am new to all of this. My wife & I got our first chicks in Aug. 2018. It quickly has turned from 10 chicks to 27! A mix of 2 week old to 1 1/2 yr old flock today. They are amazing.

I reach out this morning because I feel there is something wrong with the rooster. We got a group of 10 mature birds a week ago today. It had a full grown Road Island Red Rooster. Beautiful

Yesterday it didn't crow. Didn't come out the coop all day. (they completely free range through our land) This morning I went to open the coop and he is just laying there again. His comb had been bright red and perked up high. Now it is laying to the side and getting dark. even black to the tips.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

J&M Quik Chic Rooster.jpg

2. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    My slightly out of date book on free range chicken diseases cites nitrate poisoning and heart condition for the syptoms you describe.
    I've had much the same with some roosters here, particularly the larger breeds.
    I've also read it could be liver and/or kidney problems. I don't think anyone actaully knows.
    If it happens here again I will do a necropsy because I wan't to know the answer.

3. J&M Quik Chik

J&M Quik Chik Hatching

Sep 26, 2018
    Thank you very much.
    I will read up on this so as to get a better understanding. See what we can do to control or fix it.

Shadrach likes this.
  4. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    There are inhibitors for a heart condition. They are very expensive and will be needed for the rest of the chickens life.
    Liver and kidney problems will I'm afraid prove terminal. All the roosters (3) that have had the symptoms you describe died; some took a few day, others a couple of weeks.
    Sorry, but this is how it's been for me, despite seeing a good vet.

5. J&M Quik Chik

J&M Quik Chik Hatching

Sep 26, 2018

Shadrach likes this.
  6. J&M Quik Chik

J&M Quik Chik Hatching

Sep 26, 2018
    We appreciate the detailed experience provided. Is this something where we should separate this rooster so not to spread? Doesn’t sound so, but wanted to ask.

Shadrach likes this.
  7. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    For the sake of argument lets say it is an intenal organ problem, in such cases I couldn't and still can't see the point in seperating. I didn't and two of the roosters lived with their tribe until they died. The third I had to put out of his misery. He became unable to eat or defend himselffrom the other roosters; I have a few.
    If on the other hand it's something else, which is possible and a vet vist might tell you what, then seperation would be important if it was contaigeous.
    The best advice I can give is take him to a vet with a fresh shit sample but I have a feeling that the vet may tell you much as I have.
    I would love to be proven wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: