Sick rooster

ariri30

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 18, 2015
Fair lawn nj
My little rooster comb doesn’t look good. He’s acting normal but it doesn’t look like he has eaten anything. Can someone help me out please? I checked inside his mouth and it seems clear. No sneezing or coughing
TIA

Attachments

• F5E638EC-4632-4CC3-9FE2-76F8EB59BADF.jpeg
    F5E638EC-4632-4CC3-9FE2-76F8EB59BADF.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 14
  • C6276B2A-1DD0-4237-BC80-BD63F4B565F5.jpeg
    C6276B2A-1DD0-4237-BC80-BD63F4B565F5.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 72669526-0BAE-4A2D-923D-FAC18C2AA625.jpeg
    72669526-0BAE-4A2D-923D-FAC18C2AA625.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4CE124F5-E55D-4396-B8A8-C44B282A1BB4.jpeg
    4CE124F5-E55D-4396-B8A8-C44B282A1BB4.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 6
Looks like it could possibly be fowl pox...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/fowl-pox/
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
If that is what you think it is, it's a virus that should pass... support via keeping nutrition high. Offer probiotics if available. Do not mess the bumps if possible, as it may spread...

It does not look the same as rooster battles or other standard pecking injuries that I've seen.

Hope he recovers quickly! :fl

Looks like it could possibly be fowl pox...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/fowl-pox/
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
If that is what you think it is, it's a virus that should pass... support via keeping nutrition high. Offer probiotics if available. Do not mess the bumps if possible, as it may spread...

It does not look the same as rooster battles or other standard pecking injuries that I've seen.

Hope he recovers quickly! :fl
Will the other chickens get sick too?
For how long do I quarantine him or is it to late and the others are going to get sick too? Thanks

Will the other chickens get sick too?
For how long do I quarantine him or is it to late and the others are going to get sick too? Thanks
If that's what it is... others are already exposed.. if they get it or how bad may depend on their individual immune systems.

I know there is a vaccine available. But please keep in mind that is only ONE possibility.. It could also be a fungus or something to that effect. It could even be a different type of injury than I've seen previously.

Did you edit the pictures? I'm not seeing what I think I saw.
He’s acting normal but it doesn’t look like he has eaten anything.
I can actually see what looks like feed crumble on his beak in one of the pics when I zoom in.

If you are concerned about him eating, please check how his crop feels... full or empty, hard or squishy. Check at roost time and then again before access to feed in the morning to see if the crop is functioning properly. Getting a look at his droppings is also a good idea.

Is seeing a vet an option? How long have you had him and do you know his age?

ETA: also, do you know how long this has been going on? My rooster had ladies keep his injuries groomed so well they healed very slowly, turning whitish like that in the process... now that I have thought about it some.

If that's what it is... others are already exposed.. if they get it or how bad may depend on their individual immune systems.

I know there is a vaccine available. But please keep in mind that is only ONE possibility.. It could also be a fungus or something to that effect. It could even be a different type of injury than I've seen previously.

Did you edit the pictures? I'm not seeing what I think I saw.

I can actually see what looks like feed crumble on his beak in one of the pics when I zoom in.

If you are concerned about him eating, please check how his crop feels... full or empty, hard or squishy. Check at roost time and then again before access to feed in the morning to see if the crop is functioning properly. Getting a look at his droppings is also a good idea.

Is seeing a vet an option? How long have you had him and do you know his age?

ETA: also, do you know how long this has been going on? My rooster had ladies keep his injuries groomed so well they healed very slowly, turning whitish like that in the process... now that I have thought about it some.
I didn’t edit the picture. My pullet hatched him on July 20 2019. I saw him eat and drink. He’s not a big eater. He’s always taking little bites all day. His crop feels normal. I noticed something yesterday but today I can see what it looks like blisters. I don’t think it’s because he got peck. It looks more like burns. I ordered the vaccine. I’m not sure if I should give it to the others

I doubt that he has fowl pox because it is winter in NJ, and there are no mosquitoes out. Mosquitoes carry fowl pox virus in warm weather.

It looks like it could have been damaged on some wire fencing, some pecking, or maybe some strange frostbite. A couple of tips look slightly frostbitten or blue. Usually frostbite occurs on the tips and upper part of the comb. The way the black area is surrounded by white which can be typical of an injury as they heal. So I am leaning more toward injury. Whenever frostbite is suspected, do not massage or handle the comb. It should heal in a few weeks if it is from injury.
1583364399724.jpeg

I doubt that he has fowl pox because it is winter in NJ, and there are no mosquitoes out. Mosquitoes carry fowl pox virus in warm weather.

It looks like it could have been damaged on some wire fencing, some pecking, or maybe some strange frostbite. A couple of tips look slightly frostbitten or blue. Usually frostbite occurs on the tips and upper part of the comb. The way the black area is surrounded by white which can be typical of an injury as they heal. So I am leaning more toward injury. Whenever frostbite is suspected, do not massage or handle the comb. It should heal in a few weeks if it is from injury.
View attachment 2042024
That’s what I thought. It’s winter here and cold. But could it be fungus?
I read something but I can’t recall about some fungus. Before it turned black it was white like a powder over the comb.

Favus,a fungal infection, can cause a chaulky white film on combs, wattles, and ears. It can be confirmed with a skin scraping, or you can apply some antifungal cream such as miconazole or clotrimazole daily with a glove. I found this atypical picture below of frostbite online, so I would still look at frostbite as a possibility. High humidity and poor air circulation, and getting a comb wet in freezing weather are likely causes of frostbite.

I would cancel your vaccine order if possible.
1583365243461.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom