Sick rooster

ladycrotalus

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Massena, NY
Last night when i was checking on everybody, one of my roosters rattles when he breathes. There is no mucous bubbles, his eyes are clear, he is eating and acting fine. Could it be because of the changing temps? One night it gets to -20 then the next day its 27 degrees F. There is a heat lamp in there but it only keeps the temp 5 degrees above what it is outside on the cold side of the coop. I have the heat lamp pointed over top of the perch.
Everyone else is fine.
I cant afford to bring him to the vet right now. I have access to tetracycline and sulmet or i can get what is recommended at TSC.
It has to be safe for ducks since 3 share the coop.

Sorry no one has answered yet. Is he still rattling when he breathes? If his eyes look clear and open and he is not lethargic it might not be anything to worry about. Just a side effect of this horrible weather. if he gets worse or the others look affected get some Tylan soluble powder. it is for respiratory infections. Get it at firststatevetsupply if your feed store does not carry it. I do not know if it is safe for ducks but I'm sure you can look the product up on line and call any information numbers you can find.

I love Tylan and has it has helped me out twice so far with my girls. It is a little costly but I recommend having it on hand. Tetracycline has been so over used it rarely works on anything anymore and sulmet is for cocci.

My RIR Roo sounds the same way. I read somewhere on here that Duramycin-10 might help him. I've got him inside right now so we'll see what happens.

Heard back from Durvet, this is what i got:
"That is perfectly fine, Sharon. Ducks are considered poultry and there would no complications using this for medications for ducks. Thanks. "

Back
Top Bottom