Sick Rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCFarms9559, Sep 7, 2010.

1. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    Came home from work today and my rooster is not out with the girls. He is just standing in the coop. He even let me pick him up and look at him. No bumblefoot, no sign of any kind of illness - I got him to go out with the girls and I threw out some birdseed - which he loves - and he just stood there. Went back up later and he was in the coop alone. No crowing, no romancing the girls.. Now I went out again, and he is on the ground in the coop when everyone is up on the roost.

He pooped, and it was a little loose - but no sign of cocci. I checked him for mites - all clear. What could make him sick like this in just one day? I'm new to chickens and have no idea what to do for him.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. EE Rooster - born the very end of March
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic. Just sitting in the coop, not eating.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer, had some grapes, some alphafa hay, some birdseed yesterday.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings - just changed Saturday.

When I picked him up - which I rarely do - his breast bone felt pointy. Don't know if it usually feels that way as he doesn't enjoy being held.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Did you notice if his crop was full? hard / soft ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by