1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denisemomof4, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I tried to find answers myself here but can't so far.

My rooster is one year old, SWEET as can be, and isn't acting right. Yesterday he coughed up clear liquid but his poops looked totally normal. I am treating our young chicks for coccidiosus and thankfully I think none are very sick now (all acting normal and eating like pigs:lol: poops getting much better, in fact look normal mostly. I lost a chick last week to cocci) The rooster spent time with one chick but seemed fine. I started to put the Corid in his water yesterday just to be safe. I have not treated my year old hens that are out on dirt daily and they seem fine. They are right next to the rooster but not in contact with him. He doesn't like to eat scraps like the hens so his only source of food is the layer pellets and what ever he gets in his fenced in area.

The rooster's comb and wattles are paling. The only thing that's different with him is that he now has an outdoor pen by the hens and there's grass at the bottom. He had bright green poops initially but now they're brown again, totally solid, normal looking.

I'm not sure what to do. Please help if you can.

thanks.

2. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I will be gone all day tomorrow and was hoping for answers. I know I've seen pale comb/wattle posts before but am not having luck finding information. For pale comb wattles I'm thinking to worm (NEVER wormed a chicken before. HOW?), ACV in water, Polyvysol.

Does anyone have input?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    He may just be low on his essential vitamins and the weather could be playing a big part on his deteriorating health. Try giving him some vitamins/electrolytes for a few days and see if his health improves a little bit. He may just be worn down from the heat.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I use wazine to deworm. You may want to get some dust in case he has mites, that will make their combs go pale. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by