Sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jakkic, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jakkic

jakkic New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi, wondered if anyone could help, my rooster has been off food and drink for the last 4 days, I realised it was mites and have treated them all, disinfected houses etc but rooster seemed to be the only one that had them. Yesterday I saw he was being sick so I did a google search and lots of people saying impacted crops. I've syringe fed crushed garlic and yoghurt plus water to rehydrate. Seems to take it well but quite weak and not eating if I put outdoors, all advice welcome! Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is the crop empty first thing in the morning?

There are some threads linked in the FAQ forum (first forum on the list) on crop problems that will give you some other approaches. I've never dealt with this.

3. jakkic

jakkic New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks - I've read so many different threads on this but really struggling to know if that's it but it seems to be the only thing that comes up when I put that he'd been sick (was trying to eat and drink when I noticed this).... think crop is empty actually having just checked, there's a smell coming from him that's not pleasant... not eating, drinking (syringe liquid aside) so nothing coming out the other end at all for last day.... bit shaky on his feet and keeps retracting his head into his body plus shaking his head

4. jakkic

jakkic New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    I've just looked at my rooster again and realised all round his bum was lots of poo :-( thats why he smelt so I've cleaned him up and discovered a massive lump.... just underneath - not where the crop is, looking at pictures of inside of birds it looks like intestines... have no idea what to do.... he's clearly struggling to go to the loo too which makes me think he is impacted but in a different area, if that makes sense

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The smell brings sour crop to mind, rather than impacted crop. He could have eaten something toxic, too.

Have you seen this link?

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

I hope you get it figured out, and wish I were more help.

You could try answering the questions in the sticky at the top of the emergencies section. Maybe there will be a clue in them.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Sorry to hear about you rooster,

When a bird is sick its immune system is weakened fighting the sickness, and that makes them more prone to parasites. Also they will not clean themselves as well as they should, so the problem gets worse.

I think he may have been ill for some time, and the mites have sapped his strength. You need to clean him up properly, treat him for the mites and then put him in a pen of his own with food and water and heat from a bulb. Heat is great for sick birds. Keep the light on 24 hours. Give him treats he likes, also most like mealworms.

It might be he was impacted and all the faeces have been building up inside him. Make sure his bum is clean and if he is light in weight and skinny and still not eating after all that you need to force feed him and get him to a vet.

Good luck.

7. jakkic

jakkic New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you - I've treated for mites and pretty positive I've sorted that, should I carry on with yoghurt and water or try other food? Been in the house last 2 days although I did put back in own bed last night just to see if it would help but brought back in today and in a box by the radiator. I've put food in front of him and he won't eat at all, not even mealworms, got a vet appt but they've already said they're not familiar with chickens so I fear it's a waste of time and possible more stress on him but feel I need someone to physically look at him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by