Sick rooster

Cowgirl89

Hatching
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Hi there. I need some help. I am new to raising chickens and my speckled Sussex rooster (8 weeks old) has been vomiting water the last couple days. He spends most of his time by the waterer and gorges himself till his crop is huge. There is no hard mass in there, it is soft and squishy and I can feel some grit in there. The liquid that he vomits stinks a little, but not very bad. He also has very runny poo. He is eating Purina Chick Starter and it is medicated. I put him in a crate by himself so I could watch him better. He seems a bit lethargic and starting last night was fluffing his feathers. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I need to fix my little guy!
hmm.png

It is possible that he has some kind of blockage in his gizzard or something but at his age I would run a course of Corid through him since he is doing the fluffing of the feathers and the lethargy. If it is coccidiosis I see improvement within 24 hours.

I am not sure what is wrong but that is what I would do if it were me.

Hopefully he will do better soon for you!

No blockage. He was in a sand floor coop and there isn't anything he could've gotten. I will get some corid tomorrow and give that a shot. Thank you!

No improvement on the meds. He actually went off water (the meds were mixed in). So I've mixed in some apple cider vinegar and have him on a special diet of egg yolk, yogurt, honey, olive oil, chick feed (I think I'm forgetting something)...I've been feeding him once a day about 3T or so. Took him outside today figuring if he is moving hopefully it will help his guts. His poo is 95% water with very little actual consistency. He is still grooming, but stays fluffed all the time now. His crop is about the size of a lemon cucumber. How long does it take them to get over things like this??? Should I hold him off food for any period of time to get the crop to shrink?? Any input is very appreciated! I'm very worried about my poor boy :-(

No improvement on the meds. He actually went off water (the meds were mixed in). So I've mixed in some apple cider vinegar and have him on a special diet of egg yolk, yogurt, honey, olive oil, chick feed (I think I'm forgetting something)...I've been feeding him once a day about 3T or so. Took him outside today figuring if he is moving hopefully it will help his guts. His poo is 95% water with very little actual consistency. He is still grooming, but stays fluffed all the time now. His crop is about the size of a lemon cucumber. How long does it take them to get over things like this??? Should I hold him off food for any period of time to get the crop to shrink?? Any input is very appreciated! I'm very worried about my poor boy :-(
At this point I am wondering if he has sour crop. Sour crop is often fungal I have read.

You may want to take a look at the "sour crop cured with monistat" thread to see if it applies to you.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Also search BYC for sour crop. I haven't dealt with it so I really cannot advise.

This was written in part by the owner of BYC:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/chicken-crop-problems-sour-crop-and-impactions.html

Nystatin and fluconazole are used as antifungals sometimes. They are prescription only, but Medistatin and Canes oral are equivalent and available online, but unfortunately may be too late. Acidified copper sulfate is antifungal. The dosage is 1/4 tsp per gallon for 3 days.

I actually have some fluconazole on hand. It's 150mg. Do you happen to know a dose or where I can find it? I'm not ready to give up on my buddy. If this doesn't work then I will take him to my vet...just hoping it didn't have to come to that...

Back
Top Bottom