1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cici0408, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Cici0408

Cici0408 In the Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Please can someone Help!!!! My approx. 16 week old rooster is not acting himself. He has been camped out in the coop until I picked him up and brought him out today and yesterday. He is drinking but showing no interest in eating. The weather here today is in the mid sixties so I doubt it's heat related. He is walking normal just not much. Poop pics below. Comb and everything is colored ok. Thanks in advance. I am prepared to run to Tractor Supply as soon as I know what I need.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Looks Like it has blood in it, which would suggest coccidiosis and would explain why he isn't eating. Have you wormed him lately?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If he were mine I would treat with Corid and I'd de-worm him with Safeguard for goats. Both those you can get at Tractor Supply. Corid's in the cattle section, Safeguard liquid is in the goat section. If they don't have liquid Safeguard, get the horse paste.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Corid powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days. The Safeguard dose I have been using lately is .2ml to .5ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth for 5 days.

-Kathy

5. Cici0408

Cici0408 In the Brooder

May 1, 2014
    He has not been wormed lately. Thank you. I will be heading to tractor supply now. Should I treat all of them. My 4 pullets have been in direct contact with him and they all share the coop?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No reason not to treat all of them. FYI, the sales person will try to sell you Wazine if you ask for chicken wormer. If they do, ignore them and get the Safeguard, trust me. Wazine only gets roundworms and the Safeguard will get most worms if given five days in a row. Another option would be for you to take him to a vet and have his poop looked at microscopically to check for coccidiosis, worm eggs, bacteria and yeast. A trip like that to my vet would cost about $100 for office visit, exam, fecal float and gram stain.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You are getting Corid and Safeguard, right?

-Kathy

8. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I would worm them all, but only treat him with corrid , unless they also look unwell/ have the same poop

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    He should be brought inside and kept warm.

-Kathy

10. Cici0408

Cici0408 In the Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Some of the girls not sure which ones have started having runny poos somewhat like his but not as bad yet. So I am treating them all to be safe. They have all been in close quarters and yes I bought the Corid and safeguard. Also someone on another site asked if I could feel his breast bone or not (like if he is too thin from worms) and I cannot feel it he is very puffy and almost squishy (if that makes sense) in that area. I have also deep cleaned the coop and dusted with DE after starting treatment this evening and I plan on doing another deep clean after treatment is finished. When should I expect to see a difference in him if the treatments are working?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: