sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by araminta37, Oct 2, 2014.

1. araminta37

araminta37 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    I have a coope marran roo who has been acting sick for a week now. He has a mattd eye and sound sneezy, I have been giving antibiotics. but he doesn't seem to be getting better. he's very sleepy acting and doesn't crow. does it just take time for the meds to work? I also always put apple cider viniger in their water.
    Also is it ok to eat the eggs when they are on anibitics?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely, depending on the antibiotic, it's unsafe to eat the eggs.
    Mine were on tetracycline once and I had to toss eggs for a month.

An extremely small percentage of things it could be can be cured with antibiotics. Viral, fungal, environmental, nutritional and protozoal are possibilities as well as some bacterial things that have no cure.

Sounds like he's close to death. Where are you located? Do you know if there's an avian vet nearby that can do some swabs and other labwork?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is not okay to eat the eggs while on antibiotics, since small amounts will pass through to eggs. This can cause antibiotic resistance or possible allergic reactions in persons eating the eggs. It sounds like your rooster has a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, MG, or coryza. Does he have a bad odor about the face? Take the ACV out of the water while you have other meds in it. What antibiotic are you using for treatment? Tylan 50 injectible can be given orally or by injection--1 ml for most large fowl (but probably 1.5 ml for the bigger rooster) given by mouth (not in water) once a day for 5 days. Be sure and buy syringes and needles (22 gauge) and I would not recommend medicating chickens who don't show symptoms. Many times sick birds will not drink enough of the medications put in water, so giving Tylan directly by mouth is better. If you suspect coryza because of a bad smell, then you can also use Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet in the water, along with giving the Tylan. Here is a good llink to read about the diseases named above: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. araminta37

araminta37 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    it sounded like he has a resperitory thing and I read Duramycin is good for that so I started him on it. But it was a week ago so now I don't know

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Duramycin10 is used by many since it is readily available, but is bitter tasting, and is better absorbed if a little citric acid (available in canning supplies) is added to it. It can be given for 7-14 days, and the maximum dosage of 800mg (1 tablespoonful per gallon of water) should be used. The Tylan may work better if you have been using that dose, and by dosing him directly into his mouth, he may respond better. Here is a link for what to look for: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....an 50|pmt|e|&gclid=CNTxo8SzjsECFcRzMgoddAUAKw

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you had any other issues in your flock,respiratory,fowl pox? Along with giving antibiotics you can wipe his eyes with a saline solution(homemade solution is 1 cup cool water,1 tsp salt,wipe eyes) or tea bag(green tea,chamomile tea are excellent for eye issues,make tea and let tea bag cool,then hold against eyes 2x a day)Be careful to not get any water in nares. Check inside mouth for anything usual.

Because Duramycin is bitter tasting many birds will not drink,try adding a pinch of sugar or pinch jello powder or a bit of cranberry juice to medicated water.

Try and encourage eating,a bird not eating often has not much chance of survival. Try warm oatmeal(you can add honey to oatmeal)pablum,baby food(meat,veggies).

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In addition to infectious bronchitis, MG and coryza, those symptoms could also be
    Cholera - bacterial but no effective treatment
    CRD - bacterial but no effective treatment
    ILT - viral
    Influenza - viral
    Roup - nutritional

IMHO, treating for the unknown often prolongs or exacerbates the problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by