Sick Rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kathryn79, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    I noticed this afternoon that my rooster is quite unwell, and also he has a black coloured bottom as if he has sat in oil which he hasn't. It has come on quite suddenly as in the last 3 hours. It's almost like he's flyblown without the flies.. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Is the black colored bottom referring to his vent or his feathers? Has he had a lot of black diarrhea maybe?

Personally I'd separate him for a bit probably, within sight of the others so they don't lose their flock bond, fast him with electrolytes in his water (I use honey for that but others use sugar (not recommendable to use refined white sugar as it directly feeds numerous unhealthy things) but you can also use a tiny bit of salt, a proprietary electrolyte mix, or apple cider vinegar in his water for electrolytes)... And after he's not eaten for at least half a day, introduce him to some freshly minced raw garlic for starters. Other people would use artificial antibiotics instead of natural ones. Each to their own.

I don't have enough information to go on there to get a decent idea of what is wrong, at this stage if it's black diarrhea it may be liver problems from possibly disease or eating something toxic, or it could be a partially digested hemorrhage from internal damage, or it could be a viral symptom, or it could be due to worms... Too hard to say with so little info, sorry. If you can afford it, a vet visit may be helpful. If the vet has any clue about avians, that is, many don't.

Best wishes with him.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would soak his vent area in warm soapy water, and then dry him and keep warm until his feathers dry. Then look at it closely. Messy droppings can indeed attract flies who will lay maggot larvae, and it can go up inside the vent. He may be constipated , or have a prolapse, too. Can you post a good picture? Below is a picture of a prolapse with dried droppings and dead tissue, and below that is a common looking prolapse:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    photo by armorfirelady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by