Sick Rooster?

Chick N Boo

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
We have a potentially ill rooster. We have had our flock for 3 weeks and all minus one were already an establish flock. I've noticed the roo seemingly shivering (but it was -5 outside...) so I figure he was a little cold. I touched him and his skin seemed warm so I didn't worry about it a whole lot. He has been laying down as if he was brooding in the coop but he gets up if I enter or offer scratch. The main reason I am now concerned is because he has been out in the run all day in the rain/cool weather and super windy conditions (everyone else went back in, he usually pops in and out). When I was checking on him he had a great deal of difficulty getting up and was initially wobbly. I thought maybe one foot was injured so we picked him up and cleaned it up - no obvious injury. He is molting I think and is a bit dirty (coop is kept clean, other birds are doing well). We are new to this, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to attach a picture of his foot I was initially worried about. I'm hoping I'm overreacting.

I can't tell if one of the legs may have some loose or damaged scales where there is some discoloration. That could be a start of leg mites. Vaseline or castor oil rubbed into the scales once a week may help. I would try to get him warm. It's possible that he has coccidosis from the new soil, which could contain a strain he isn't immune to. Corid or amprollium inthe water for 5 days may help. I would also probably worm all of them with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid GOAT Wormer 1/2 ml given orally to each bird, and repeat in 10 days. Check his skin all over for signs of lice or feather mites, and dust him with Sevin Dust or Permethrin if you suspect any. Until you can get the Corid today, feed him some egg along with his feed, and give him some electrolytes, Gatorade, or Pedialyte in his water. One quart of water containing 1 tsp of sugar plus 1/4 tsp of salt can be substituted. Discontinue the electrolytes when you start the Corid.

Last edited:
How do I dust him? Is it as simple as sprinkling the product on him?

Thanks for your help!

Also, I THINK they are molting - I was reading lastnight I shouldn't worm them while they molt. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom