Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lunachick99, Jan 17, 2015.

1. lunachick99

lunachick99 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2014
    Help please, my eight month old bantam rooster has become increasingly sick the last three days. Today he won't eat or drink and the chicken experts at the vet are off this weekend. Most prominent symptom is labored breathing, plus this morning he's developed a runny nose.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though he may be getting a respiratory disease. Look for any mold or wet spots in your coop, lack of coop ventilation, dusty conditions, or ammonia odor. I would offer him electrolytes in his water, and along with his usual feed, give him some scrambled egg. Is he coughing or sneezing? Is his breathing noisy or wheezy? Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 or oxytetracycline powder may help treat symptoms of respiratory diseases . Here is a good link to read about the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. lunachick99

lunachick99 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2014
    Thank you kindly. My boy passed away shortly after my post. Going to take him to the vet for analysis on Monday. Hope to find out why.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost him. Hopefully your vet can find the cause of death.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Sorry to here that you can force drink chickens but I only do that to chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by