1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Harleylady, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Harleylady

Harleylady Out Of The Brooder

My banty rooster is about 10 months old and always the 'life of the party' until 2 days ago. He hasn't crowed in over 2 days, just lays in the 'play pen' and tonight let me pick him up with no complaints (usually he fusses a lot if I try to pick him up). Something isn't right and I am very worried about him. I put some 'goodies' in the coop this morning and he just ignored them and just laid there. I am very worried about him. My 5 hens are doing fine but he sure isn't and I am very upset as I don't know what to do for him - but sure do not want to lose him. I've raised him since he was 2 days old and he, too, is one of my 'babies'. Please send any info that would be helpful to saleroux2000@yahoo.com.

Thank you for any help I can get.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly check out the link provided by Kelsie. Sorry about your rooster![​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry but, his symptoms are common for many problems - small and large. There is nothing that points to a specific reason. Please do post in full detail on the emergencies thread. Since he is so special to you, is there any chance you would take him to the vet?

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Sorry about your rooster! [​IMG]I would definitely post in the Emergencies section of the forum. Hopefully, members there can help.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster! [​IMG]I would definitely post in the Emergencies section.

8. Rosecomb Lover

Rosecomb Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Canada
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to our flock! We're glad to have you here![​IMG]

So sorry about your rooster.[​IMG]
    You could try taking him to a vet and posting this in the Emergencies section. Kelsie2290 left you with a link. Good luck![​IMG]

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. Harleylady

Harleylady Out Of The Brooder

Your rooster in your picture looks just like my Max did. I sure will miss him. He was so good to the hens & just a really good rooster. What should I do for the hens since I don't know what Max died from? I cleaned everything good & replaced bedding and it was suggested I de-worm the hens -- anything else I can do for them to keep them healthy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by