Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa Walker, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Lisa Walker

Lisa Walker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Our rooster, Red, was fine last night, but we got up this morning, and he can't walk. He's breathing hard, and has very smelly green stool. This just came on suddenly with no warning. Nothing has changed in the coop or chicken house, no new chickens or different feed or anything. Our chickens have always been very healthy. We took him out of the coop and put him in a cage in the shed, but I'm very worried about him. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Lisa Walker

Jun 29, 2013
    He's still down today. He'll drink a bit of water (I added some apple cider vinegar to the water), but he won't eat. He's just lying there kind of breathing heavier than normal. Any ideas on what this could be? It came on so suddenly!

3. Lisa Walker

Jun 29, 2013
    Well, never mind. Red is dead. Thanks anyway.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Since it was so sudden, are you able to send him in for a necropsy? I might consider it to find out the cause.

There are several things that can kill a chicken with little warning. Coccidiosis comes to mind. So does toxin ingestion.

I would start your flock on Corid in their water ASAP. You can find it at most feed supply stores. It is available as both liquid and powder. It says for use in cattle, but ignore that. It's gentle enough that you can use it as a preventative a few times a year to keep Cocci under control.

For the 20% powder, it's NO LESS than 1.5 tablespoons per gallon of water.
    For the 9.6% liquid, it's 2 teaspoons per gallon.

(Thanks, @Eggcessive for the correct dose in a previous thread.)

I would clean out the coop and disinfect everything with Oxine or vinegar. Bleach is too harsh for the bird's respiratory tract, I've heard.

Is it possible that he got into some kind of poision or herbicide?

When was the last time you wormed your entire flock with Valbazen or Safe Guard?

Edit to add: Did you do a thorough look-over for spider bites, snakes bites, or any other injury?

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by