Sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaydannaduval, Apr 1, 2015.

1. jaydannaduval

jaydannaduval Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    I have a 3.5 year old Duccle Roo that is our favorite bird in the flock. Recently, for about 4 -5 days he's been lethargic and not acting himself. He started puffing his feathers out and just "sitting" around. Hes had access to dirt to dust in, and has never had any health concerns. We moved our group of 9 birds to a new coop, and he still isnt right. No mites that I have seen.

His comb and around his eyes are paler than normal. His tail feathers are hung low, and his neck feathers are puffed out. When he walks, he seems stiff, and not eager to move.

Here are some pictures of him this am. I put some de wormer in with everyone and 3 CCs of Sulmet in the gallon of water.

Any ideas?

thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He looks cold. I have a little guy just like him, and he is prone to getting frostbite on his toes. Last month his comb got a touch of it. If your vet will look at a sample of his droppings, you can identify specific worms or cocci. Capillary worms for example, take a 5 day in a row treatment of SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste at 1/4 ml orally to each bantam chicken. What dewormer are you using? Sulmet dosage is 2 tablespoonsful ( 1 ounce) per gallon of water for 2 days, then 1 tablespoonful per gallon for 4 more days. Here is a link for that: http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by