Sick, runt or roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweettea75, Mar 14, 2013.

1. sweettea75

sweettea75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Chicks are a week old, plus a couple of days (assuming 2-3 days when we bought them). One RIR is much smaller and has fewer feathers than the other one. She seems to eat, drink and run around. She does seem to sleep more, and if you hold her, she nestles down and goes to sleep whereas the others are pecking for treats and climbing on us, etc.

After watching her a bit, she does seem less active than the rest of them, but she does eat, etc. Also, when my daughter put her back in the brooder after taking the pics, Fluffy (little chick) didn't jump off her hand, she sort of fell and landed on her back and couldn't get back up.

I can't figure out how to directly attach pics, so I'm going to link to FB.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1450717178399.510862.841318398&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1450717178399.510862.841318398&type=1&theater

2. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Your links don't work. I would place her in a brooder (cardboard box) directly next to the other brooder (to help with heat) and supply her with food and water. Also put a teaspoon of sugar in her water. Watch her constanly for a day. If she seems to be drinking better and still not eating, make a mash with sugar water or molasses, plus chick feed. If she eats better and starts to act more normal, continue for three days. Then try placing her into the normal brooder with the other chicks. Hope this helps!

3. sweettea75

sweettea75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Well, crap. I cannot figure out how to link pics directly.

She does eat. I've seen her. I picked up some baby vitamins today, too.

I can separate her. I've also got a boiled egg cooling thinking maybe she needs a boost of protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by