Sick Saxony - Please Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaceyinGeorgia, Mar 22, 2017.

1. LaceyinGeorgia

LaceyinGeorgia New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to posting at BYC, though I've stalked this site for a year or so. I need your help.

I have a 10.5 month old Saxony female that has recently gone lame. About two weeks ago, she was fine when I let her and my three other ducks (two saxonys and a pekin) out to forage. When I checked on them about 30 minutes later, she was laying down and couldn't bear weight on her legs. Even though she's no longer a duckling, I suspected a niacin deficiency and added some to their water. The next day, I gave her a very small amount in a blueberry. She stayed somewhat lame for the next 2-3 days, but then got better. She could wander around the yard and walk much better - as long as she didn't run. When she ran, her legs would give out again. That lasted for three days. Then Wednesday of last week (a week ago today), she suddenly was unable to walk again. Her legs don't crumble underneath her. It's more like her joints at the hip are incredibly stiff. She can stand. When she tries to walk, though, she falls forward and lands on her chest with her legs behind her. She can move them to put them back underneath her.

Additionally, she stopped swallowing food - even her favorite blueberries, peas, grapes... - but would drink like normal. She would also have her bill open a good bit and occasionally shook her head. Even though I know they're rare, that seemed like gape worms to me (which will also cause lameness, right?), so I gave her a very small amount (less than .10 milligram) of Invermectin pour on wormer. I put it on her skin between her "shoulders" at the base of her neck. That was on Saturday - so four days ago. She did eat some berries and grapes last night and today, but she still can't walk, and her little legs seem so stiff when she tries to. She can take a few small steps at a time, but after three or four, if she doesn't lay down on her own, she falls down. I do try to get her from the house at least for 30 minutes or so each day and put her in their pool so she can get a little exercise without putting weight on her legs.

I've added a small amount (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) of high performance poultry pak to their water for the past week or so as well.

Any ideas on how I can help my sweet girl? I don't want to think of putting her down, but I'm be suffering. Outside of the very stiff legs and swallowing issues (that may be getting better - I hope!), she seems ok. She whimpers some when the other ducks are out doing their thing in the yard and the pool, so I'm afraid that she's in a lot of pain, too.

Thank you in advance!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    You are doing an awesome job!

Here are some people that can help
    @casportpony
    @Miss Lydia
    @RavynFallen

4. LaceyinGeorgia

LaceyinGeorgia New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Thank you eggbert420!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. LaceyinGeorgia

LaceyinGeorgia New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

Thank you! Unfortunately, what I'm doing isn't working so well. Will your post automatically alert those that you tagged, or should I contact them separately?

6. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

It's supposed to alert them or tag them some how. But this is time sensitive so I would just PM (private message one or all of them and see who you can get to give you some more advice) you're doing everything that I would know to do. Maybe go to a vet if you can afford it.

7. LaceyinGeorgia

LaceyinGeorgia New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

Thank you! She enthusiastically ate some peas and grapes tonight - definitely more appetite than she's had - but still super stiff hip joints. I really appreciate your help. I'll reach out to the folks you've tagged. Thank you again!

8. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Best of luck!!! Keep us updated no matter what. And if worst comes to worst, just know you're an amazing ducky parent and you did all you could to ease the pain :)

But we're praying for Ducky to make it!!

9. LaceyinGeorgia

LaceyinGeorgia New Egg

Mar 22, 2017

This is an incredible community! I wish I'd posted earlier. RavynFallen has responded to me with lots of great information. I'll keep you posted for sure. My sweetie's name is Ellie. I also have Allie and Ollie (Saxonys) and Opie (a female peking), and Romeo (a half tame wild Muscovy). Romeo lives and my house and takes naps on my porch each day, but visits all of the area ponds. The neighbors all know that he's my baby and call or text me when he visits them. It's adorable. :)

Thank you again - so much!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by