Sick Sea Bright: Swollen above the Eyes with bubbly wet eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Robinmainzer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Robinmainzer

Robinmainzer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Please help. She is very ill and not getting any better. At first she had very wet bubbly eyes and a swollen place above one eye. I brought her in and bathed the eye and the swelling went down. Her eyes continued to water. Now the swelling has stated again. She is scratching her neck. She has been isolated for almost three weeks now. Please help. any advise would be useful.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It sounds like it could be a respiratory infection.
    You can do a search on here for bubbly eyes and find all kind of information.
    Seems like there has been a lot of this going on this winter.
    Good luck with your Sebright.

3. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Treat her with Tylan injectable once a day for 7 days, OR put LS-50 into her water for the time stated on the package.. be sure tis is the only water she can get into for the treatment time ...

As she is lethargic, i'd go witht the tylan injectable. as she may not drink enough and has been sick for a long time .. (Don't do both!. do one or the other )

She has a respiratory infection...

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As usual, I am going to be the bucket of cold water. A "respiratory infection" is a generic term, but it includes infectious Coryza, Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)/mycoplasmosis, infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Laryngotracheitis, etc, etc. Most of those make a bird a carrier of the disease, even if you treat and alleviate the symptoms--I feel it's imperative that you know this so you will know why your other birds come down sick over and over again if you treat her and put her back in the flock.

Of course, you should not return her to the flock in my opinion and others will disagree with me. If you do, especially not knowing which disease she has, you should not sell your birds to anyone or bring new ones in, called "closed flock".

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Have you brought in new birds recently or is she a new bird to your flock?

5. Robinmainzer

Robinmainzer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the information. I thought she had a respiratory infection. I have tried antibiotics and nothing is working.

6. speckledhen

That is probably because she has a virus, not a bacterial infection. Sadly, you may have to euthanize her.

7. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I have a pullet named Boogers with a respiratory infection. During the winter it was really bad, sneezing, runny nose, bubbly eyes, and those "wet" thick coughs. Meds were too expensive so I let her go. Now she just has boogers on her beak and occasionally this lump under her eye get swollen. She's alert, happy, eating, drinking, doing everything a chicken does. I will never euthanize her unless something else comes up that's serious. I hope your Ophelia gets better.

8. speckledhen

The thing is that all respiratory illness is serious. If you keep one sick bird, then you will forever be fighting infection after infection in your flock. That is something I never want to do because I may inadvertantly become the cause of heartache in someone else's flock. Anyone who keeps a sick bird, even if you think it's recovered, should never sell any birds or hatching eggs to someone else, especially if you have no idea what the specific disease is. You've severely limited what you can ethically do when you treat respiratory illness in your flock or keep sick birds. I realize I will never convince everyone of that, but I will keep trying. This attitude of keeping sick birds is why I never, ever, buy started birds from anyone, not even day old chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by