Sick Sebbie.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
He was walking around like he had bumble foot. We brought him in and kept him in, soaking his foot every day. Once we got the black off, we found there was no boil/pimple/blackhead or what ever causes a bumble foot. It was like once we got the black off, it was just a callus. He was walking ok so we put him back outside with the others and he came up limping on the other foot.

He has quickly gone down hill. We have bought antibiotics and gave him, my husband read that it could mean he wasn't getting enough vit B so he bought yeast and Niacin capsules. First we were giving him the yeast and Niacin and he seemed a bit better but my husband was afraid he might have an infection so bought the antibiotics. I don't know for sure but I think he stopped the yeast and Niacin when he started the antibiotics.

The poor goose has stopped trying to stand up. There are no vets in our area or anywhere close that works on birds, let alone waterfowl. What else can we try?

On bumblefoot in geese it is a hard cored puss and has to be dug out. It is not like human puss that squeeses out. If he is not doing well put some apple cider vinegar in his water about a capful in a 2 gallon bucket. Plus keep him on the brewer's yeast on his food for sure. Keep soaking the foot for 15 minutes in warm Epsom salts. Keep looking for the core of puss just in case there is some in there.

On bumblefoot in geese it is a hard cored puss and has to be dug out. It is not like human puss that squeeses out. If he is not doing well put some apple cider vinegar in his water about a capful in a 2 gallon bucket. Plus keep him on the brewer's yeast on his food for sure. Keep soaking the foot for 15 minutes in warm Epsom salts. Keep looking for the core of puss just in case there is some in there.
Once we got the black callus off, there was nothing there. It looked smooth and whole, no ring where an opening could have been. I have not been using the vinegar but we will buy more yeast.

This morning I offered him some cat food, the chickens, ducks and geese outside will fight the cats for their food. It occurred to me that maybe because it has more protein in it, so I thought that might help him. His water bowl was empty so I went to fill it and heard him in the cat food but when I took the water back it looked like all he did was stick his beak in the food and knock some out. When I put the water down he got up and hobbled away.

I am pretty worried about him. The lady who gave him to me, gave me 6 of them, 4 females and 2 males. Maybe I can afford to lose him but I would much rather not.

Once we got the black callus off, there was nothing there. It looked smooth and whole, no ring where an opening could have been. I have not been using the vinegar but we will buy more yeast.

This morning I offered him some cat food, the chickens, ducks and geese outside will fight the cats for their food. It occurred to me that maybe because it has more protein in it, so I thought that might help him. His water bowl was empty so I went to fill it and heard him in the cat food but when I took the water back it looked like all he did was stick his beak in the food and knock some out. When I put the water down he got up and hobbled away.

I am pretty worried about him. The lady who gave him to me, gave me 6 of them, 4 females and 2 males. Maybe I can afford to lose him but I would much rather not.
Have you noticed any redness on his legs unusually hot spots he could have an infection.could be legs might just be internal. An antibiotic might be needed what antibiotic have you been using and for how long? Can you get Poultry Nutri Drench? TSC carries it and it goes straight into the blood stream doesn't have to be digested and can be givne straight from the bottle into the mouth also can be given in water. I get some and start giving it too him straight from the bottle directions on on the bottle. This will give some good support while trying to figure out exactly whats wrong. Here is info on Nutri Drench http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html

Last edited:
Do you always feed him cat food? Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will!) but I didn't think geese should eat cat or dog food.
Most just use it for a little extra protein, I use dried meal worms. Mine really don't care for the other 2. I also use BOSS, RURU who is an experienced breeder recc using BOSS.

Have you noticed any redness on his legs unusually hot spots he could have an infection.could be legs might just be internal. An antibiotic might be needed what antibiotic have you been using and for how long? Can you get Poultry Nutri Drench? TSC carries it and it goes straight into the blood stream doesn't have to be digested and can be givne straight from the bottle into the mouth also can be given in water. I get some and start giving it too him straight from the bottle directions on on the bottle. This will give some good support while trying to figure out exactly whats wrong. Here is info on Nutri Drench http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html
Sorry, we keep odd hours and I don't get back on the internet when I should. No, no hot spots, in fact the left leg, the worst of the 2, feels cool all the time. It still has color but it is pale and he keeps it stretched out behind him.

We went to the feed store just before I posted before so he has been on this for about a week, it was recommended by the people who work there and have used it for their birds: Oxytetracycline, in the water: Aureomycin in his food. If you think the Poultry Nutri Drench is better, we will get some of that. If we get the PND should we stop the antibiotics we are giving him or just add the PND into the "mix?" If you think we should stop the other antibiotics, how long should we wait to start him on the PND after we stop the antibiotics?

Do you always feed him cat food? Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will!) but I didn't think geese should eat cat or dog food.
The geese out side will fight the cats for their food but Jake as we call him, has only gotten it that one time in the house.

Most just use it for a little extra protein, I use dried meal worms. Mine really don't care for the other 2. I also use BOSS, RURU who is an experienced breeder recc using BOSS.
Yes, I read that the cat food has a much higher protein than the food we have been feeding him and I thought it might help. It does not seem to have made a bit of difference. BOSS is sunflower seeds?

Back
Top Bottom