Sick Sebright Goopy eyes and wheezing please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KanChicken, Dec 17, 2011.

1. KanChicken

KanChicken New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    I have a sebright hen who is wheezing and has quite a bit of eye goop in both eyes. Dont think she is eating as much, not as much poop in the cage but what is there seems normal. She was fine yesterday full of energy. She is not moving around much. I have SavaChic in her water and feeding her dumor as always. She is almost a year old. Two days ago her boyfriend died... he was also a sebright, about a year. In the coop he had his head in his chest and the other hens were picking on him so I brought them both in the house. He quickly went downhill... this keeps happening to some of my birds and I dont know why. He wouldnt eat or drink unless I put his head near water. Then he wouldnt open his eyes. Soon I find them stiffened up unable to move their legs, laying on one side. Soon they pass. It only happens every once in a while but its always the same story. So I guess I have a few questions... What is killing my birds? My sebright hen seems to have slightly different symptoms but is it the same thing? How can I help my hen get better?

2. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    if she is wheezing she probably has a respritory infection and needs abs asap. Have you checked your hen house for red mite.

3. KanChicken

KanChicken New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    I haven't seen any skin irritation but I will check my coop today. I am newer to owning chickens, just two years now, what is 'abs'?

4. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    the best time to check for red mite is on a night when the hens are roosting. If you run a white cloth under the perches when it is dark if you get red blood smears on the cloth you have red mite. If you are in the us I beleive that you can get abs without prescription, so I would defo go for treating her with abs. I dont know what you use but we get either Tylan or Baytril

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by