Sick Sebright - sick or sick of cockerel?

Mackie n chicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Banffshire, Scotland
So here’s the problem – we have two sebright hens and one cockerel (all around 9 months old). Rowan started laying around 3 months ago while Millie became sick and then recovered and started laying 2 months ago. As soon as Millie started laying Rowan stopped laying, then a few weeks ago Millie also stopped. Coop does not have any red mite. Logan the cockerel however, is way over the top now its spring and harasses them (especially Rowan) all the time to the point of bullying,he seems way over protective to the point where we’ve seen him refuse them access to the outside during the day and making them stay inside the coop for most of the day, so we have to keep removing him when we are home so the girls can get daylight. We have been putting food and drink inside the next box for the girls so they always have access to food and drink.
Rowan over the last day has become lethargic and is lying down a lot, which is of obvious concern. Our vets don’t have a clue about chickens as we usually tell them what’s wrong and they give us the necessary medicine.
So my backyard chickenettes – couldshe be eggbound or is she just being bullied too much, or something else? Any ideas folks, wee Rowan needs our help!

Hello,

Sunlight plays a significant role in the egg laying process. If your hens are being trapped in their coop for the majority of the day then this might be a contributing factor. However, this shouldn't stop the egg laying process all together but rather slow it. Furthermore, Sebright's can be a tricky breed to use as laying birds. I have several of my own and they don't lay on any regular or full-time schedule. They rather produce for several short weeks and then stop for a period of 2-8 weeks and then start the process once again.

To help resolve this problem I would remove the rooster from the location where your hens are living/laying. You can always fence them off next to the coop as this sometimes increases egg production. Secondly, if at all possible I would suggest you install a small light in your coop/nesting boxes to encourage egg laying. Lastly, I would supplement some of their feed with nutritional packs which can be purchased at most farm supply stores. These packs act like a multivitamin for your hens and should help them in any scenario.

I hope this helps...

Unfortunately Rowan took a turn for the worse last night and has a very dark comb and is hunched up, she also has dark brown watery poo-went to the vets, but as usual they don't have a clue and just blitzed her with antibiotics and we have to hope for the best. Today she is just sleeping, which for chickens does not look good! we really do not have any idea what's wrong with her!

Hi Unfortunately she passed away in a little box next to my bed in the early hours of Sunday Morning. We'd been to the vets on Friday and Saturday for antibiotics but they had not effect whatsoever and the vet things she may have ate a larger stone than she should or there was a problem inside-her crop wasn't emptying so we thing she was eating and drinking but nothing was getting through to her little body, this would explain her crop shrinking-it happened so fast and at the weekend so noone could have operated even if they knew what it was. Noone knew what happened, it's only guesses. Thank you all for your help and God Bless you wee little Rowan xx

Back
Top Bottom