1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Sebright

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by djfred, Oct 22, 2013.

1. djfred

djfred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    McAllister, MT
    My sebright is holding her mouth open and seems to be a little off balance. She is normally fairly aggressive but the other birds have started picking on her so I moved her to her own cage and away from the flock. She seems to be gradually getting worse. She is only about 6 months old and I think she has started laying.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Have you given her some electrolytes and vitamins? How long has she been this way? What other symptoms does she have?

3. djfred

Mar 10, 2013
    McAllister, MT
    Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately she didn't make it through the night. ;( My concern now is for the rest of the flock. My daughter had taken her and several other birds to a show in early October. Sassy the Sebright had been her perky little self until Sunday when we noticed her not walking quite right, holding her mouth open while stretching out her neck and the other birds picking on her. My daughter gave her a peach that Sassy gobbled right up and we moved her to her own cage in the shed. She seemed to maintain and continue eating and drinking but the walking got worse gradually each day and she did slow on her food intake. She seemed a little labored in her breathing at times but not always as well as always holding her mouth open and stretching out her neck frequently. No drainage from her eyes or nose. Yesterday she seemed like her one side was maybe paralyzed. I did start her on vitamins, probiotics and electrolytes but not until Monday evening. I think I will give some to the whole flock now. Any thoughts about what I should do for the rest of them would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Was her legs paralyzed too or what exactly do you mean one side might have been paralyzed? How exactly was she walking? Did she have any neck twisting or any thing like that? Do you think she might of pickled up something from the show? Was her crop emptying? Did you notice any thing else unusual with her? If your concerned you can have her body tested at a lab or college and find out Exactly what killed her. This way you will know for certain what exactly your flock has been exposed to if anything
    so sorry for your loss. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I read somewhere that Sebrights are more susceptible to Marek's

-Kathy

7. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Sorry for your loss!
    Here is a byc link about chicken illness'. You can click through and see is any of her symptoms match.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens

Esp. check out Marek disease. Good luck, let us know what you think.

8. djfred

Mar 10, 2013
    McAllister, MT
    She seemed to be holding her leg up tight against her body and pushing with the other leg. The wing on the tucked up leg side was out to her side maybe like she was trying to keep herself upright. If she tried to move around yesterday she looked like she was trying to keep from tipping over. She did twist her neck a little when she stretched it out but mostly just stretched out straight. I don't know about picking something up at the show, it has been almost 20 days since the show and I hadn't noticed anything strange about her until Sunday so I guess that was 2 weeks after the show. I have noticed some of our other birds that we took sneezing since the show but not her. They all seem to be feeling fine other than the occasional sneezing. It did appear that her crop was emptying. I checked the lab here and it is $40 to do a necropsy. I will call them and see if they do poultry for less. Thanks again for all of the replies.

9. djfred

Mar 10, 2013
    McAllister, MT
    I just talked to a Vet at our state lab and he said that she was most likely too old for Merek's Disease. He was a good source of information and I'm glad that I called him. Thank you for the advice to check with them.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You were misinformed... Call the lab back and ask to speak with an avian pathologist, chickens of *all* ages can die from Marek's, I have a necropsy report from UC Davis that lists the cause of death in my three year old as Marek's.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by