Sick sex link

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by irishvixen, Mar 16, 2017.

1. irishvixen

irishvixen New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Hello everyone I'm new here and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a 8week old female sex link who isn't doing very well.

We noticed that she was very lethargic and it seems like she is gasping for air. She makes a chip sound, and keeps her eyes closed. We've separated her from our other chicks who are all the same age but showing no signs of sickness.

I haven't noticed any poop from her, but after giving her some fluids with a childs medicine syring she throws/coughs up a brown fluid. There doesn't appear to be anything in her crop, but it does feel like an air bubble... I'm not sure if that's normal as this is my first experience with chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions, and all help is very appreciated!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

Can you take her to a vet?

What type of food/treats do you feed?
    Do you provide poultry grit (crushed granite)?
    How is she normally housed (outside/coop/run/free-range, etc.)?
    Any discharge from the nostrils or eyes?
    Any odors/yeasty/sour smell to her breath?

It's been a while since you posted - has she pooped any?

It sounds like she may have a sour or impacted crop - this is usually a symptom of an underlying conditions like cocci, worms and reproductive disorders. If you have a vet that can test a sample of poop for worms, cocci and bacteria, that would be a good idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

3. irishvixen

irishvixen New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank you for responding, she was still alive as of this morning, but still exhibiting the same behaviors. We started them on regular starter crumbles, and just switched to medicated, and we were told to pick up some grit. She has been housed with the other 5 in the starter coop we made until they are big enough to be outside. We housed them in a large circular trough, with a heat lamp in our basement as it is too cold to have them outside and we have too much snow for them to roam free.

She doesn't have any discharge from her eyes or nostrils, and the brown fluid she has coughed up does smell a bit. When I checked her this morning, she had finally pooped; it was all white... not sure if that is okay? I also checked her crop as I was advised and it feels like a balloon, like an air pocket, it is not hard...

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She more than likely has a doughy or sour crop - here are some treatment protocols to follow - I suggest you read the entire article before treating. Crop issues can sometimes be hard to remedy if there is an underlying condition. You may want to consider treating her with Corid for Cocci as well. She needs to stay hydrated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

5. irishvixen

irishvixen New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Awesome thank you so very much for all of this! I'm heading home now, so I'll read it as soon as I get there after checking in her.

6. irishvixen

irishvixen New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    I got home a little bit ago and she was really bad. I held her until she took her last breath. [​IMG] Thank you for all of your help today, it'll be very useful in the future.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by