Sick Sexlink

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abblcart, Oct 29, 2016.

1. abblcart

abblcart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2016
    I need some help for my sexlink Emerald. It's been 2 days now and she is still acting weird. Shes always alone or somewhere in a corner. She eats/drinks very little. Her mouth is clean, no infections or respiratory issues or gunky eyes. She was having white runny poo but now its a very dark green with maybe some seeds, but it has the white cap like normal poop. It also feels like she has an egg and she hasn't laid any yet. I know my other 2 hens that are laying also isolated themselves and seemed depressed before laying their first egg but they didn't have a pooping problem. But what is most alarming is the personality change, I can actually hold her. I mean she would growl and rip me a new one if I got too close. Now I can pick her up and she will relax and rest her head on my chest. Something is definitely wrong but I don't know what. So any suggestions on what is going on? I can't really afford a vet around here because she is not considered a standard pet.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

3. abblcart

Oct 29, 2016
    [​IMG]. [​IMG][​IMG]. Sorry I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow in the day.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks kind of too green. Can you bring her in the house where it's warm? 80-85 degrees would be ideal.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. abblcart

Oct 29, 2016
    It sounds like it's the temperature and/or a stuck egg because of how warm her thighs and lower area was. I'll get a lil hospital cage set up tonight and get her in the morning. She's in her makeshift nest that I can't reach.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry your hen is not doing well. Please do follow any advice casportpony gives you.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, abblcart, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community but sorry it's under these circumstances. I agree with Diva - casportpony offers good advice. Best of luck to you and your hen. :)

9. abblcart

Oct 29, 2016
    [​IMG]. She's standing up now! She's more alert, grooming and talking up a storm. Hopefully this is a good sign.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Fingers crossed! :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by